211: Sudo Make Me A Business, With Open Source Seasoning

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone - I think this goes down as one of my favourite episodes for all the laughs :laughing: Highlights of the show have to be Michael and Noah’s “sales pitch”/impersonations!

Excellent roundup of open-source suggestions for businesses - very impressive! Have to say though Atom’s never really appealed to me, partly due to my dislike of JavaScript and partly due to its almost webapp origin. I find myself trusting both vim and emacs more for smaller coding tasks, or even gedit or kate for that matter, but either Netbeans or Eclipse for larger projects. Guess it comes down to personal preference!

Movim sounds great. I used to be quite a fan of pidgin and jitsi (desktop app) some years back too which I believe both supported xmpp, though these days I’m pinning a lot of hope on matrix clients like Element.

I’ve been following the git intro every episode of course, and besides your tips I’d also like to recommend “Pro git” (quite a chunky text) which is available for free download including for Kindle as I find that quite useful too :slight_smile:

Really looking forward to visiting @jill_linuxgirl 's museum including actively sitting in the stool room :wink:

4 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

I agree with this. This is why I use Sublime Text instead of Atom since Atom is really just a webapp based clone of Sublime Text. Though technically Sublime isnt open source so that is why I didnt mention it.

pretty much the same from me including the Pidgin usage back in the day. I remember when Pidgin was the go to for chat clients and now. Its been years since I even installed it on my system. Matrix is kind of becoming more and more important for me and DLN every day at this point.

:+1:

I am looking forward to it as well! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Aahhhwww, thank you @ak2020!! :heart_eyes: Teehee! :wink: Can’t wait to see you!!! :hugs: And we will name one of the stools after you in your honor!! And we can have @MichaelTunnell do the christening!! LOL :joy::penguin::penguin::penguin:

2 Likes

Why thank you @jill_linuxgirl - such an honour! If I could borrow a genuine Fedora Red Hat (or Red Hat Fedora?) while visiting, my stool might feel like a throne when I actively sit, before progressing to the wonderful exhibits :grin:

1 Like

@ak2020 TeeHee!! LOL :joy::penguin::penguin::penguin:

1 Like

Great show last week. Ryan’s talk about kerberos.io got me interested to try it out, and it’s a pretty good app. Even with just one cam in a hallway, I went through the “hot points” for two days and was quite amused by what it picked up (on a Raspi 4.) Very slick interface and I’m sure it would be pretty amazing with a few more cams.

On another topic, does anyone have an opinion on using XMPP with OMEMO end-to-end encryption enabled? My friend and I use Matrix/synapse/dendrite (whatever name you prefer) but have found using the psi+ client (or Conversations on Android) with OMEMO is a really better experience overall. (Just my opinion.) I do love matrix, but xmpp is a little faster as the matrix.org server frequently gets bogged down. Also the voice calling works very well. Is the security level any different using xmpp with OMEMO E2E encryption than matrix?

Regards and thanks for the great shows,
Steve

2 Likes

4 Likes

TeeHee! LOL :heart: it @Ulfnic !!! That is soooo true!!:heart_eyes::hugs::penguin::penguin::penguin:@MichaelTunnell @kernellinux @dasgeek

1 Like

What about accounting software or human resources management tools. Any good open source options for these?

SuiteCRM and GNUCash are the best I know of.