208: Mythbusting Linux Misconceptions

6 Likes

Thanks, everyone, very entertaining and informative as usual :slight_smile:

A lot of great myth-busting here, though I have to say of all the things I agreed on most, was Noah’s comment about “it’s not just a tool”! Also as a confirmed geek myself (not a nerd :wink: ) I have only just noted that we have @dasgeek not dasnerd :wink:

Do you remember the show with the ladies training women to use computers? That was an ace episode and an ace organisation. A lot of women in my family use computers and I’ve been helping them gradually move over to Linux too. Great idea about starting people on open source software running on Windows first, if necessary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This isn’t the first time the topic of donating to open source projects has come up. I think it would be great to see a new segment that details one or more important open source projects, either established or promising, that accepts donations.

I myself have only very recently actually gone through with donating to teams like Mozilla and Wikipedia. I understand that many people who haven’t ever donated to anything and/or are too new to Linux to confidently choose where their money goes are much less likely to contribute. It’s easy to think “I don’t know if five bucks is really going to help much so I’m not going to put the time in to find out how to send it”.

A segment that explains how a project like OBS, Firefox, Blender, and others have been and will be a benefit to the Linux ecosystem, how donated money might be transformed into meaningful developments, and exactly how to donate to the project(s) would be very helpful for people like my past self. Perhaps a few opinions about how large of a donation the DLN crew thinks a project is worth would be fun too, and help people understand that donations can be very affordable yet still meaningful to the project.

Thanks for the amazing podcast, guys. It’s my favorite of over a dozen on my list. Keep on keeping on, preferably with good posture (I recommend using a stool for this).

4 Likes

I’m concerned that the new DLN hats are not going to have a logo or something on the back. If I need to turn my hat backwards to connect with some youths, pop a nasty kick flip, or breakdance to save a local activity center, I am concerned that people in front of me would not then associate DLN with sick moves.

3 Likes

^ would pay for video and depending how it goes, possibly also audio.

3 Likes

I LOVE THIS! I now also want a logo on the back for my sick moves as well! :smiley:

1 Like

@PatPlusLinux, TeeHee!! LOL :joy::penguin::penguin::penguin:

@MichaelTunnell, LOL LOL!!! :joy:
We need to teach Michael AI to breakdance!! LOL TeeHee!!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like