205: Home Sweet Home Labs

3 Likes

Thanks everyone - very informative and entertaining show as usual :slight_smile:

I seem to have somehow missed the details of the Solarwinds issues you mention, probably because in the UK we have our own dramas unfolding which are a distraction from important things like computers :wink:

I have to say Iā€™ve never dabbled in server technology yet, apart from running web server software when I was teaching myself web development a few years ago. Nextcloud and GitLab have their appeal, I have to say and theyā€™ll probably be the first I try when I get around to server projects.

@dasgeek, as inspiring as your dance moves are this episode, I have to say Iā€™m curious about your opinion of Watchmen, as I seem to notice a poster in the background. I loved the Graphic Novel and film adaptation but have not seen the TV series at all. I even found the prequel novels interesting. I wonder what your views are?

1 Like

I must push back on the ā€œhome labā€ conversation.Most of the examples of services were things that people would miss if they disappeared. Thatā€™s not a lab service if you will miss it when itā€™s gone. A lab is a playground. Itā€™s meant to be torn down and rebuilt. If you tear down your lab, what happens to your pihole? It goes away along with your DNS resolutionā€¦your VPN, your proxy server, etc.

Iā€™m not saying donā€™t run theseā€¦Iā€™m saying donā€™t run these in a home lab. Create a ā€˜productionā€™ environment from the services you play with in your lab.

1 Like

Great show today (as usual) folks!!!

As far as home labs, Iā€™ve often built franken-computers but actual home labs has been just me dabbling. Lately, iā€™ve been bitten by this bug, so hope to do more fun stuff in the home lab arena. Thanks again for a great show!

2 Likes

I agree with @mjbmd.

A Home Lab is a place to test things out. Like scientists to in a regular lab.

For example. I donā€™t have anything in my Home Lab right now.
But I do have Jellyfin and Home Assistant in my Home Network, which is something I rely on.

So what the DLN crew is probably talking about is setting up a Home Network, not a Home Lab.

Ah I see what you are saying. It is a poor choice of vocabulary. So ā€œlabā€ is where you test things and then ā€œproductionā€ is where things go from the test stage to the full time use stage.

I think for most people just getting started, the lines between these are pretty blurry. Personally I do all my ā€œtestingā€ on the same machine that runs my ā€œproductionā€ services. I use docker exclusively so that makes it possible to do this easily. If services werenā€™t in containers, I could see myself having separate machines for lab and production.