202: Is PipeWire Ready To Takeover Linux Audio? Plus Right To Repair EU Directive

4 Likes

Thanks, everyone, very fun and informative as ever :slight_smile: Lovely to see @jill_linuxgirl leading the presentation this week :+1: I’m still trying to find @dasgeek 's TikTok link in the show notes though :wink:

I agree with everyone on PipeWire in Fedora. Could be another revolutionary change, especially coupled with Wayland and Btrfs. I also strongly agree with right to repair, and although the UK has recently voted to leave the EU I am strongly in support of it. I’ve not been able to purchase new hardware for some time now, but when I do, I’ll certainly favour firms that offer longevity, if I am able to. I remember studying the algorithms behind ray tracing in Computer Graphics course, one of my favourites when I was an undergraduate. Interesting to find hardware support for this coming, a couple of decades down-the-line. I’m not much of a gamer myself, but I can certainly imagine the benefits!

1 Like

Aaahhww, thank you again @ak2020!!! So true about ray tracing! Been using it in animation programs since the 80’s :grinning: It’s nice to see it finally coming to the mainstream in gaming on Linux!! Cheers and :hugs:!! :heart_eyes::joy::penguin::penguin::penguin:

1 Like

When I was studying Computer Vision, which involved some of the hardest maths I ever did, I never would have dreamt it would be applied in augmented reality applications like Snapchat in real-time. I don’t use it but it fascinates me to see what computer vision is being used for now in real-time!

1 Like