192: Fedora 36, Ubuntu 22.04, Deepin, Rolling Rhino Remix, Parrot OS and more Linux news!

(Continued from above)

Would you recommend Ubuntu Rolling Rhino as a daily driver?

No. There is a lot more effort going into keeping your system stable and functional that you don’t get out of the box (or shortly out of the box) with rolling distros like Fedora Rawhide or openSUSE. The btrfs snapshotting of these distros is pretty much easy mode (especially on openSUSE where it is preset) and on the OSTree-based Fedoras you can pin a known working deployment to boot into in case of trouble. Even rolling releases like Debian Sid, Slackware Current, or Arch seem a bit more stable or complete packages than Rolling Rhino.

Honestly though, Flatpak is making my desktop distribution choice academic. Perhaps I’m just afloat in the kool-aid but running current-stable applications on (but independent from) almost any Linux distro seems to me like the future of Desktop Linux. On OSTree-based Fedoras there is a container environment called Toolbx (aka Toolbox). This uses podman to create containerized workspaces for traditional cli workflows. With some work, you can have a Fedora, Debian, and even an Arch toolbox and have access to the power of each respective distribution. It is wild stuff.

tl;dr

My Ubuntu Rolling Rhino rating: ★★☆☆
Not much more than a meme, other distributions do rolling better (if not more cohesively). Maybe try openSUSE Tumbleweed instead?

1 Like