183: PwnKit Vulnerability, KDE Plasma 5.24, Steam Deck Launch, Manjaro Mini PC | This Week in Linux

3 Likes

Thanks, @MichaelTunnell - informative and entertaining, as ever :slight_smile: Very pleased the good folks responsible for distros have patched the vulnerability you mention. I know Debian Stable which has been my workhorse for many years now is slow to update applications, I’m always impressed with their speed when it comes to security updates!

1 Like

Another week, and another informative show from the Stool Master, @MichaelTunnell!

I was just listening to this episode today and was wondering about your comment regarding preferring DisplayPort over HDMI (in the segment about the DeskMini Manjaro PC). I hadn’t heard that before: what makes DP better?

1 Like

Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

As for DisplayPort vs HDMI, it essentially boils down to DP being more powerful with they iteration compared to HDMI. In fact the previous generation of DP is usually better than the newest HDMI.

It depends on what ports a device has but ultimately it’s not even close in regards to the technology. DP is also much more open as HDMI has licensing fees.

Here’s a quick breakdown of the tech,

HDMI 1.4: Supports up to 4K (4,096 by 2,160) at 24Hz, 4K (3,840 by 2,160) at 30Hz, or 1080p at 120Hz with bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps

HDMI 2.0: Supports up to 4K at 60Hz, and later versions (HDMI 2.0a and 2.0b) include support for HDR with bandwidth of 18 Gbps

HDMI 2.1: Supports up to 10K resolution at 120Hz, as well as improved HDR with dynamic metadata with bandwidth of 48 Gbps

Vs

DisplayPort 1.2: Supports up to 4K at 60Hz, some 1.2a ports may also support AMD’s FreeSync with a bandwidth of 21.6 Gbps

DisplayPort 1.3: Supports up to 4K at 120Hz or 8K at 30Hz with a bandwidth of 32.4 Gbps

DisplayPort 1.4: Supports up to 8K at 60Hz and HDR with a bandwidth of 32.4 Gbps

DisplayPort 2.0: Supports 16K with HDR at 60Hz and 10K without HDR at 80Hz with a bandwidth of 80 Gbps

2 Likes

Thanks, @MichaelTunnell. That’s a great answer. I’ve learned my new thing for the day. :wink:

1 Like