Why use a more advanced Distro

Just a preface I am not a huge computer geek. I use Linux for editing photo’s, video, audio, graphics, and surfing the web. I like it for the security and I am a big fan of opensource software. I Settled on Ubuntu Mate and with Flatpak I was able to get the latest of all the programs I use.

I hear all the time about more advanced distros and how you will eventually want to switch over to them. From my point of view I don’t see why you would need to switch from something that you can power on and get your work done to something you constantly have to tweak. I’m not pointing fingers or trying to make a statement I want to know why you should or would want to go to something more advanced.

3 Likes

Different people use their computers for different reasons. Some (like you it seems) just want to get their tasks done on whatever the best platform is for them and not fiddle around with it. Completely valid perspective. Others are more inclined to poke around, switch things on and off, or replace things altogether. These are the types of people who tend to eventually leave more stable but less configurable distros like Ubuntu or Mint for something like Arch (BTW). It’s just about whatever makes you happy. If you’re happy with Ubuntu, keep on rocking it. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s just a phase, or that their choice is superior. You know what you want better than anyone.

6 Likes

Thank you :grinning:

Exactly what I would say (what FriarDest said). I love Arch based for the AUR (Arch User Repository). I missed it on Fedora, I would miss it on Mint. It allows me to find just about any package that isn’t available for other distributions, build it on my own from source etc. I also want to use newer versions of packages that might not be available under Debian/Ubuntu. I like the freedom to do what I want to my install, or the freedom to not do anything if I am so inclined. Like FriarDest said, you know best what is the right fit for you. GNU/Linux (any distro) allows you that freedom to NOT use Windows or Mac.

1 Like

For different reasons ranging from just liking to tinker, learning what another distro is like, maybe they want it to be lightweight, more bleeding edge to see the new features, newer hardware so needs a newer kernel, some like the challenge of a DIY type distro like arch and Gentoo, bragging rights for some(by the way I use arch lol) as eastcoastweb pointed out having the AUR is pretty nice to have, so you’re not having to add PPAs or snaps(i don’t care for).

That being said, there are people out there that are developers of parts of Linux that have decades of experience and stick to Ubuntu in some form or fashion, so don’t feel like you need to try these other distros if your current distro makes you happy. I am of the belief that there is no wrong way to use Linux as long as you are happy with your experience, and you are not being a gatekeeper because someone is not doing it the same way you do.

1 Like

I really think that @FriarDest hit the nail right on the head on this one. @ShortFimsTallPeople , you should use whatever allows you to make the most efficient use of your time and whatever brings the most joy. I wouldn’t worry yourself about a more advanced distribution. If the distribution you are running is falling short (which is highly unlikely) another distribution will essentially present itself to you that will better satisfy your requirements.

Focus on the enjoyment of Linux, it is supposed to be fun, however you define it.

2 Likes

To add to my earlier comments: I have distrohopped like a mad person over the last year or more after switching to GNU/Linux. During that time along with learning things I was also able to learn which distro and which desktop environment works best for me. That turned out to be EndeavourOS with Cinnamon. It wasn’t my first try with EndeavourOS or the first with Cinnamon.

Going back 10 years ago I was on Linux Mint w/ Cinnamon. I wound up not liking Cinnamon. Sometimes you have to go away before you can come home. Cinnamon feels perfect for me and my experience since the late 1980s in computers before the stain on society called Windows came around (LONG LIVE DOS!). I wasn’t comfortable on Arch until now. I think I would really miss the AUR if I switched to another non-arch based like Fedora.

2 Likes

I second or third what everyone else has said. Personally, I use an Arch based distro on my main desktop because for some reason Debian based distros break on it. Endeavour on the other hand runs well on it even after about a year and a half. So it just works for me compared to the other distros I’ve tried.

1 Like

I love what everyone has said so far and I wanted to add something slightly different to the conversation. You know what programs you need and found a distro that works for you and that is awesome. I am still going through that process of discovery myself somewhat. While I may have moved to a more advanced distro I did so because my workflow has changed over the years so I wanted change for that reason alone. It just happened to be a more advanced distro that offered everything I wanted is all. So as the programs and tools evolve over time our workflow can change alongside them and this can lead to searching for tools that fit better with our evolving workflow as well. This doesn’t necessarily mean we will land on a more advanced distro but the flexability that often comes from the more advanced distros like Arch and its derivitaves often lend well to change. Just my thoughts on things from a slightly different angle. Use what works for you! Great topic!

1 Like

I have nothing more to add to all those great comments and I am here just to confirm that.

BTW Ubuntu (Mate) is a great choice.

I really like it everything just made sense.