Which Registrar to use?

I clicked this link several times and couldn’t get it to work. It’s now [the shareasale domain] whitelisted on my PiHole!

its just an affiliate platform, not a spam site BUT I am sorry that sucks. I didn’t know it was blocked by that. I am creating an affiliate thing for DL with Namecheap as well but through a different platform that hopefully wont have that issue. My bad.

It’s OK, just an FYI. I just used the defaults from PiHole when setting it up. I need to whitelist the ones from DuckDuckGo results too, because I try to click those ‘ad’ links at the top when I can, but PiHole blocks that too.

I think I fixed it, check out https://destinationlinux.network/namecheap see if it gets through the pihole please

gandi.net is cool. I’ve purchased most of my own and a few hundred for clients on Hover.com. They’re not the cheapest, but they’re lovely to deal with if you need support.

Apparently mine is blocking that domain too. It’s OK, I have it up from whitelisting the other domain earlier!

well dang it, oh well. I guess they are all blocked by that stuff. It kind of makes sense but still :smiley:

I did see on the PiHole Forum about complaints of it being too strict. Even sites such as here.com is blocked. That is just a map site. Left over from the Nokia exodus from Windows Mobile which they used for the the navigation app.

I am using Pi-hole for several months and can say it definitely must be customized by the user. And there are many users posting on Reddit who did not read the manual and can not do basic troubleshooting, like: look in the log and whitelist a domain.
By default, Youtube can not save history in a mobile app.

On the other hand, I had to create a personal blocklist with 54 records to block my local ads and trackers, and these 54 are mostly collected in 2 days while revisiting all my old accounts in every service and shop. What if I spent more time?

My point is, without customizing there is no point in using Pi-hole, why block ~ 100 000 ads and trackers you may or may not come across and at the same time leak your data to 54 very real ones.

Which 54 real ones did you come across?

starting from line 15 and to the end of the list:

2 Likes

I’d just use one of the security and privacy centered registrars and hosting providers such as Epik.