What's your favorite CLI text editor?

A long time vi user who switched to Emacs? Aren’t we supposed to burn you at the stake for this or something? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hah! I believe that is the correct course of action, yes :slight_smile:
I don’t know if it’s of any consolation, but I am still using evil keybindings in Emacs, so at least I’m not using vanilla Emacs.

2 Likes

I used to use vi (on Solaris) years ago, but on Linux I prefered the graphical editors (gedit, kate, or whatever). I have used nano, it’s fine but now I find myself just running leafpad, mousepad, featherpad or pluma for really quick edits (depending what is installed and if I’m editing a file for which I want syntax highlighting available)

e.g.
$ leafpad .bashrc

$ pluma fibonacci.c ansi.h fib.h Makefile

Although with the last one I’d probably start up geany and use the a project file

On an unknown machine I might still try nano as it’s (almost) universally available.

1 Like

For quick changes usually nano but for larger config files or any kind of source files I use vim.

1 Like

This thread doesn’t have nearly enough death threats for a CLI text editor discussion.
I use Vim mostly. I tried a few variants. Nvim works, I realize that a lot of people love it, and I can’t put my finger on the issue, but something feels off about it. Vis is amazing, and I love it, but I always forget to type vis instead of vim… On a few systems I’ve aliased vim to vis and that works, but currently it’s all just vim in it’s default form.

3 Likes

@onesubtractone how funny - I think the “family friendly” requirement has saved us from carnage and fatalities that may surround such discussion :wink:

3 Likes

Does anyone remember the fictitious holiday called “Festivus” in Sienfeld? It had a highly useful custom called “The Airing of the Grievances”.

Maybe when the Holiday Season comes around in a little under 2 months, we should have an “Airing of the Grievances” thread, so that everyone gets their chance, in a contained and safe place to do so.

1 Like

Ditto, I broke myself to using the movement keys a decade ago and can’t leave (not because I can’t quit the editor :stuck_out_tongue:). I desperately want to be able to use other more maximal editors but even if they have a Vim mode, I can feel the rough edges.

2 Likes

Derivatives based on Evil-mode are booming (e.g., Doom or Spacemacs).

2 Likes

big fan of vim, it’s been the only editor in use on my systems for a hot minute…

came to the conclusion that I’d switch to neovim the other day, so now it’s the only editor installed on my machine(other than busybox vi)

5 Likes

I like the “magnetized needle and steady hand” approach. :joy: :joy: :joy: That’s awesome!!!

Getting used to Nano here. I like its simplicity and easy-to-understand command list. Reminds me of a Lotus 1-2-3 approach from the DOS days. Kinda wish it had a drop-down menu structure, but honestly, it’s great just the way it is.

I have used vi since the days of HP-UX back in the '90s. The downsides: steep learning curve and sometimes my WYSIWYG docs have random "k"s and "j"s in them from tying to scroll up and down. The upside: it’s a safe bet that vi is on every system in the world – all you need to do is get to the command line and go to work – plus your hands never leave the keyboard.

If I’m asked that question in person, with a deadpan face I always say, “I use six.”

How did I miss this thread? Neovim all the way here. Also, since nobody has said it yet, ed is the standard editor!

ducks