What VPN do you use?

PIA, mainly because I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about it, plus I got it with a discount from LinusTechTips, IIRC. And I’m paying CAD $80 every 2 years.

1 Like

I also use and recommend ProtonVPN. I already use ProtonMail. I like that they have their servers in Switzerland, too.

4 Likes

OK, so far I tried ProtonVPN Free. I tried Mullvad and i tried Windscribe. Unfortunately My thoughts are not final. But i do not like them at this time. I tried ProtonVPN Free and it wasn’t doing what i wanted it to do. I also do not like it not having GUI app. Mullvad VPN did not even connect for me. so i do not like it. Windscribe didn’t work also. I’m more of a GUI app look guy. I don’t like CLI in regrades to using apps. Personally i could live with it but GUI would be best experience i think. The other thing is why it wasn’t working for me is i do not think full features where in Free and i had to buy premuim. Which i would have liked to see if it worked first without paying. But either way i would want GUI app with it in Linux.

Thanks Everybody. I’m still watching this post :smiley:
Keeping :eyes: on ProtonVPN

I came across this today and it completely nails the hypocrisy of the major VPN providers. Apologies if you don’t appreciate the sarcastic humor but I find it deliciously biting. TLDR - most major VPN providers are owned marketing companies that employ the same scummy tracking tactics that they purport to aid in blocking. Why am I not surprised?

1 Like

That was Funny :joy::joy::joy: So i take it PIA is the best one since there less tracking.

Well - since PIA was just bought out - I’m not sure of what that will mean for them…

1 Like

Just checked on PrivateVPN, which I’m using now and it has the classic stuffs as the others in the article… My subscription ends in less than a month and I think I’m going to test something else :man_shrugging:

1 Like

They have a Linux GUI now. 7/2021

1 Like

I’m still using PIA, but i’ve noticed i have a vpn connection ready to go in my Proton account. Anybody have some experience with this?

I’ve used ProtonVPN Plus tier for well over a year almost 100% of the time on all my devices.

It’s been excellent and very easy to recommend. For all my digging into the company, jurisdiction, previous stances, audits, ect, they also come up the best for me.

2 Likes

Can you set it to work over the router?

ProtonVPN now has a GUI for Linux users as well as a repository. You can still use the “Quick Connect” feature, kill switch, secure core and net-shield options. You can easily select a server and view the current server load before and after you select. I recommend that you be careful using the “kill switch permanent” feature, My hardware and distro (UM 20.04LTS ) permanently disconnected networking completely after I selected that feature. I had to restore networking using the CLI. you@yourdistro$ protonvpn-cli ks --off
Instructions on upgrading to this GUI is on their website

Just try it out, it is for free. That is how I began my journey into ProtonVPN. If you already have a Proton account e.g. because you registered for email you automatically get free access to their VPN service.

Wow. There is a new GUI app. I use the CLI version and did not realize they now provide a new program. They are slow to inform its customers when you use the service in another language than English it seems.

That’s the best way to do it. I had a relatively easy time getting what I needed and they make it easy to get pretty granular if you want to.

For anyone interested:

The OpenVPN config files for a router are available here

1 Like

Thank you, that’s perfect. When I was looking over the info for Proton VPN I could just see stuff for individual devices. I really prefer to have it on my router, so all devices are covered while at home.

Wauw. This is great. Now i’ll certainly have a go at it. Thank you all!!