What software do you use?

Just the speed. I am very keyboard centric as I started using it on my laptop, my workflow is basically as follows:

• navigate to the folder with the images to sort/cull.
  • [space] next image.
  • [backspace] previous image (on desktop I now use mouse scroll wheel for next/previous).
  • [1] tag keeper images with 1 - note this is not the star rating, it just tags in geeqie from what I can tell? [M] shows the checkboxes.
  • [Ctrl]+[1] to select all tagged “1” images.
  • [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[I] to invert selection.
  • [Del] to remove all I haven’t tagged with a 1.

I find it super fast, so much so that… well, I shouldn’t admit this here, but I installed Windows on my new Ryzen/5700XT build as I thought the go to app everyone seems to rave about (Photo Mechanic) must be better. It’s not. It’s slower and crashes when I delete files from a 5000 image folder. So; I have Geeqie running using WSL and Xming for now until I can get another m.2 and load Linux again. Windows has to stay for my wife’s work stuff as she uses my PC when she works from home on occasion.

I do have to say Lightroom is faster than Darktable, at least on Windows, notably for load time when denoising. I’ll try Darktable again once I reinstall a real OS, but for the amount of images I shoot at an event and turnaround time, that matters.

2 Likes