What hardware have you seen Linux run on (including your own)?

It’s a problem, I should probably seek counseling…I just really feel like in order to get the truth out of the distro it must run on Bare Metal…I have 4 candidates for number 9 running in Gnome Boxes VM though…lol

1 Like

Give me top 3 of the most interesting :slight_smile:

MUCH respect. Holy cow that’s incredible. I think I’d lose my mind setting that up.

Ultrasound, my friends model rocket, and a home made drone.

Ultrasound was running xfce, don’t know which distro.
Model rocket is using debian.
Drone is on an embedded distro whose babe I can’t remember.

1 Like

All of my PCs (desktop & 2 laptops) are running on Linux:

• Gaming desktop with Kubuntu
  • Main laptop with KDE Neon
  • A defective laptop that I bought from my brother for CAD$150 with Ubuntu 19.10 with Unity & Windows 10
    • Fun fact, it had heating problems and kept turning off. Its heat sink wasn’t properly screwed in & the power port was shorting out. Lenovo replaced it 3x before he gave up, and they couldn’t figure out the problem.

Then there’s my dad’s PC running on Ubuntu 18.04 with Unity. Might switch him to MATE or Plasma at some point.

1 Like

Ultrasound as in actual ultrasound? One of those used to see babies? :smile:

That’s a nice top 3, thanks for sharing!

Several laptops over the years, currently System76 Oryx Pro
I have a home server running on a small form factor ASRock motherboard with an AMD APU on it.
Raspbian is on my Raspberry Pi.
The VDI systems where I work run RHEL and sadly act as a thin client to a Windows 7 instance running on VMWare :frowning:.
The ticket kiosks at my nearby movie theater run Linux – can’t recall the distro.

1 Like

I recently picked up a Dell XPS 2 in 1 9575 in the open box section at Best Buy for an amazing deal. It has a Vega M GPU paired with an I-7 8th gen. So far it has been awesome for mobile gaming. I was super impressed with how well the AMD GPU work with graphics switching. I would like to see if I could get better battery life out of it.

1 Like

My main machine is a Dell Latitude E6320. I bought it one year ago and it replaced my Thinkpad T400. It is an old machine and beefy but I love old and beefy. :slight_smile:
It has ‘only’ 4 GB of RAM but I will upgrade it to 16. You see it was not even needed in my case.
Everything on it is Intel hardware and has an i5 processor.
It works with every Linux distribution.

I am running Linux on a two laptops, a HP-server an several raspberry pi’s. I am an addict configuring PC’s and Arch is my favourite. I have been using Linux since 1998 and pure as a hobby. I am actually a bolts and nuts man but sometimes feel like i missed my destiny!
The strangest place where i saw linux was in a KLM airplane where the mediasystem runs on Linux.

1 Like

I’m running 2 different HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF desktops i53750 processors one has 16 gigs 1600 mhz ram 1 240 gb ssd, and a separate 750gb hdd 7200rpm that I’ve been using to try other distros disconnected right now, the second one has 12gigs ram 1600mhz same ssd and a separate 500gb hdd 7200rpm , just for Linux.

My Own PCs still in use, running Ubuntu, Virtualbox and ZFS:

• 2019 Own build; Ryzen 3 2200G (16GB, 3000MHz), since May. SSD 128GB, 3 striped HDDs 1.82TB
  • 2008 HP dc5850; Phenom II X4 B97 (3.2GHz, 8GB, DDR2 800MHz) from 2014 till May 2019, now for visitors e.g. grandchildren. 2 striped HDDs 240GB.
  • 2003 Pentium 4 HT (3.0GHz, 1.25GB, DDR 400MHz) before 2014, now as backup server. 3 striped IDE HDDs 0.9TB. Running FreeBSD 12.0 (32-bits) with ZFS.
  • 2012 HP Elitebook 8460p, i5-2520M (8GB DDR3 1333MHz) laptop. SSHD 1 TB.
  • 2011 HP Elitebook 8540p, i5-M560 (4GB DDR3 1066MHz, Quadro NVS 5100M) laptop for my wife. HDD 250GB 7200rpm. Running Ubuntu and BTRFS.

Dead PCs,

• Dell Inspiron 1521, Turion 64 X2 TL-66 (2.3GHz, 2GB DDR2, 667MHz) laptop
  • Dell Latitude, Pentium-3 (0.6GHz, 384MB SDRAM) with Lubuntu, playing music in my wife’s restaurant till 2012.

To quote Drew DeVore of Choose Linux in Episode 18: “I’m pretty sure that you could get Debian to run on a toaster if you really tried.”

1 Like

Question for the European members… We’ve all heard of System 76, we know Dell sells machine with Linux and it now has a Linux web page for them, but how many have heard of Entroware, or seen one of their machines outside the Entroware web page?

I considered making this a new thread, but felt it might fit here - admins, please move it if you feel otherwise.

1 Like

@TerryL if I remember correctly Entroware have been a sponsor for several Linux podcasts here in the UK (Late Night Linux comes to mind) I have never actually seen one of there PC’s but they are a well known Linux PC manufacturer here in the UK, and I am thinking of purchasing one of the Hades Work Stations in the Spring, if I can get the moths out of the wallet :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

@mintCastTony Moths? my wallet has vultures…

Let us know what you think when/if you get one. If I was still on “active service” (i.e. working for a living) I would be tempted, since handing in my GeekCard for SimpleUserCard I couldn’t justify the cost, either to my bank balance or the simple uses for a computer I now have. It doesn’t mean I’m not interested, just less inclined to indulge personally.

1 Like

Terry, If I do drop the dime on this, it will be the first new PC I have had since a 2002 Pentium 4 Tower I had Built for me. Even the new Acer One Net Book I got back in 2009 was an unboxed return, as the person who bought it hadn’t realized that it wasn’t windows. This would be my last NEW PC as given the specs of even the base model

https://www.entroware.com/store/hades

I couldn’t see me needing anything more powerful than this for podcasting and the other stuff I do, the on the PC the only other thing I would add is an Icy Dock 4 drive bay for hot swapping drives for my distro testing without impacting on the main drive.

shorturl.at/yDFX2 shorturl.at/yDFX2

I’ve got to have a toy to play with when I’m old and can only do stuff from a computer chair :rofl::rofl:

You just descibed me :grin:

1 Like

I originally setup my home lab for training to help me prepare for some Linux and security certifications. I started by deploying KVM and a handful of VM’s. Then I discovered Docker and the world would never be the same again.

My first VM was for Ansible…love that tool. Next, I deployed Nessus in a VM and OpenVAS in Docker. Stood up Zabbix in a VM, but haven’t done much with it yet. To help with studying security, I bought a rasberry-pi and a 4-NIC NUC. The pi is running pi-hole and the NUC originally ran a Sophos next-gen firewall that has since been replaced with OPNSense. I installed DD-WRT on my Wifi router and segmented all of my networks ( lab, user_net, and iot_net ). The server is running CentOS minimal, so no gui.

All in all, it’s been a great learning lab. I earned Security+ and CySA+ earlier this year. Right now, I’m waiting for LPIC-1 101-500 series exam prep books to be published. I want to earn Linux Admin and Linux Engineer next.

I’ve also been learning Python at home and at work.

pi-hole has spoiled me with no-ad surfing. So, much that I’m considering running pi-hole in Docker on my laptop so that I can have no-ad internet all the time.

1 Like