What do YOU appreciate about Linux that you can't experience on Windows?

I like that I can replace components in my computer, and I will never have the operating system complain hat I have changed out too many pieces. And, I can install as many copies as I want.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I noticed that too. I use Web mail, so get the same emails on Linux - tells me that any non-meeting time is collaboration time. Sorry M$ but I decide when to collaborate and when I need to get other things done!

I know many are not fond of the Cloud, but for me it means that I can keep Office365 restricted to a browser and do not have to install a load of apps on my desktop. And all work files stay on the Cloud too if you are using the browser versions of everything - so when I close my work browser window(s), work has disappeared from my Linux PC. Now, technically you can do the same in Windows, but for some reason if you use Windows our IT team syncs your entire hard disk to the Cloud and forces updates at inconvenient times. Mac and Linux users do not get this treatment.

Windows 10 was not a thing when I switched to Linux, but the Windows 10 start menu would be a reason to switch right away!

1 Like

Iā€™m the same. I made the switch to Linux earlier this year, and since moving Iā€™ve hardly used Windows at all at home. In fact it would probably be less than an hourā€™s usage since March/April this year when I made the switch.

And much like you @ak2020, I switched to get more control over my PC. I got pissed off with Windows deciding when and what it would update rather than me. The telemetry and background spying, the shoving of adverts onto the Start Menu, just the entire Windows ecosystem has become uncomfortable for me.

With Linux I know that whatever Iā€™m doing, itā€™s all under my control. Thereā€™s no telemetry being sent to a server in the US or China somewhere, for their governments to do god only knows what with. Iā€™m in complete control of updates and can update at my leisure or ignore specific updates if I so choose.

Especially when itā€™s an Arch system Iā€™ve built from scratch myself, or my Manjaro installation.

So glad I switched :+1:

2 Likes

I did that at my last company and showed that I could my personal computer without storing any company data locally. They were not impressed. But, it was a fun exercise, especially when I shared my work with the Linux support team.

Hello,

What I enjoy and appreciate about Linux is the absolute freedom it gives. I can use my computers for what they were created for and that is as a tool. I can be an artist, tech support, pod caster, musician, web developer and a host of other things, without having to pay thousands of dollars (just give to the project as a supporter) or worry about licenses.

The only other platform close to Linux was OS/2 and windows made sure to kill that off.

Hereā€™s is something that really bothers me, probably more than it should, but it is what it is.

Iā€™ve been noticing a trend with Windows-based apps where you go to close the application and the app minimizes to the system tray instead of closing. Now, I do realize that some apps need to stay open, but some that do not need to do that are starting to do it. I can only anticipate that they want to remain open so that they can track something ( probably unrelated to said app ).

/rant

1 Like

I like the update process in Linux. Updates are small pieces, and you can pick and choose what to install. Updates, even kernel updates, can be easily rolled back if they cause an issue. You donā€™t have to uninstall all of the updates just because one part causes an issue.

2 Likes