What desirable tech do other people want that you don't get the point of?

I would add Airpods. I do not even know how to write the word correctly.
I love good headphones but real ones.

1 Like

I feel aversive to the very word “pod” whatsoever. I do not own even one “-pod” object. So what, the iPod MP3 player was a nice MP3 player. Great. Nice one, Apple. But how many things in this universe do we need to involve the word “Pod” in? Like 28%? Way too many. It’s done way to death, IMHO.

If I had my way, the very word “Podcast” would be changed to something less hippie dippy. Maybe “RSS Audio” or something like that. Thankfully the Raspberry Pi is not called the Raspberry Pod.

Or RRS as in Recorded Radio Show ? :thinking:

1 Like

RSS Audio doesn’t really roll off the toungue. Maybe TA for tele-audio. like TV kinda

That’s what radio is already.

For a term better than “RSS Audio,” how about we re-use an older word, like “cassette”? Like, we re-define “cassette” to mean, “an MP3, or other similar audio format recording, distributed over an (unchanging, REST-ful) RSS feed”?

Big corporations use this clever trick all the time. They take ownership of a general, long-used word, to mean a specific product. BTW: every time they do this, it takes effort for me to not groan, and I probably won’t use it. A perfect example is “MS Word”. The word “Word” is a generalized word, which Microsoft used (co-opted) to describe a particular Word Processor application they wrote.

Why “Cassette”? Because the “compact cassettes” tapes popular in the 80’s and 90’s held 30-45 min of audio, per side, making for 1-1.5 hours of audio listening. And podcasts tend to require no more time than that. A long podcast these days is 2ish hours (the length here doesn’t matter that much, as we all know MP3’s can be as long as we like). So the word “cassette” nicely jives with that commonly-seen length of time, which Podcasts tend to be.

“Cassette” rolls off the tongue, and is only 2 syllables.

And in French you can also abbreviate with K7 :grin:

1 Like

Yes, You can find them on Amazon by Sceptre

Re: marketing

If marketing is a virus, would that make “contentment” a kind of immunity?! :grin:

4 Likes

^ That’s really well said.

Forget about smart houses, I don’t even get smart phones.
I mean, I can see why it’s nice to have access to the internet, gps and so on.
But people seem to really love their smart phones, when for me they are kind of annoying.

Using small touch screen instead of a keyboard or controller is pain in the butt.
All shops and websites wanting you to use their shitty apps is bullshit.
If you want to use use free software, your options are very limited and the whole ecosystem is fundamentally more restricting

2 Likes