What Are Your Thoughts on Wayland?

Mh, I’m not sure that will work. Maybe try some Wayland native alternatives, like the built-in OSK in GNOME or Squeekboard from Purism

1 Like

Gnome’s built-in on-screen keyboard is atrocious, sadly, and I can’t even find one for Plasma. Does anybody know where it is?! Thanks for the tip on Squeekboard. With all the deserved criticism of Purism with their current hardware situation, looks like good software work here. I’m glad they’re experimenting with Rust. I really do believe that language could have a rosy future for systems development!

What are your thoughts on Wayland in general?

I love it. I know it’s still rough around the edges, but in terms of performance, it’s great (for my use case(s)). I mostly use a computer for IDEs, and the browser. I also do some very light gaming in Steam. Some things don’t work for me (like Kdenlive - which immediately crashes), but I don’t mind rebooting in to X if I need to use such applications. Unfortunately, I can’t really use it on my ThinkPad laptop as the performance there is pretty bad (it’s a very old laptop - lots of “micro-stutter” in Wayland), but on my desktop everything is so much smoother (e.g. scrolling in Firefox - almost zero micro-stutter).

Have you used it, if so, how was the experience?

Am using it on an old 4th generation Intel i7-4790 desktop with an AMD 5500XT GPU. It’s not perfect, but good enough for what I do. Personally, I feel that user experience is king, and on any computing device with a screen, high and consistent frame-rates (along with fast responses) equates to a good user experience. I use middle-button-scroll a lot in Firefox, and Wayland is very noticeably smoother and faster than X. It’s the smoothest I’ve seen Firefox on Linux.

What distro did you use Wayland on?

I’m using Wayland on Arch (on and off - if I need to use Kdenlive, for example, I switch back to X).

Which DE did you use to try out Wayland?

KDE Plasma.

1 Like

I’ve been using Wayland everyday since Fedora 32 Workstation (Gnome) and I love it. The bugs that bothered me a little back in Fedora 32 have been fixed. I’m happy to say good riddance to screen tearing as it’s something that drove me nuts for years after switching to Linux.

1 Like

My thought on Wayland are that in Fedora 35 at least its works absolutely fine. It took a while to get over my plank addiction but yeah I barely know its any different. The silky smooth operation of Gnome in Fedora may result from Wayland, it may not. I am even not sure if its possible to tell why its so smooth, its the sum of its parts and then some. I guess Wayland is now mature and will start to filter into most other distros to the point its no longer mentioned.

Wayland is getting there. I’m currently trying it out on a non-daily driver laptop that, and on KDE Neon Unstable. I haven’t really pushed it though.

I did a little article on Wayland for me today. If it weren’t for Synergy not working and some of the strange paper-cuts with the windows I have experienced, it is great. I think a few more little things and the switch can be made. As of today, the benefits don’t out weigh the losses for me but I think it would work smashingly for most people.