We need a visible chassis decal, and/or web badge to tell just how Linux-compatible new hardware is

I would like help us use clear, agreed-upon terminology which cuts through the vaporous fog of vague hopes for future stability in a software experience on a given piece of new, exotic hardware. Such universally agreed-upon terminology is a defense from every different vendor using their own home-cooked terminology which has devils hidden in various details.

What do you think of my proposed “4-Zebras” method of classifying how Linux-compatible a given laptop, IoT device, SBC, etc is?

Please read the 4 posts, starting from here:

• If the keys have the ability to light up, then let the hardware buttons for this Just Work. Otherwise, don’t even use keys which can light up, setting up a cruel disappointment. At least one of Gnome, KDE, or XFCE should have the code required for this keyboard lighting upstreamed . And this should be the default desktop installed with the laptop.
  • Same goes for hardware keys for volume up, down, and mute. If these buttons are labelled on the hardware, then let them Just Work, upstreamed into the desktop included.

These two have been a pain point for me when trying out different distros on my System76 Gazelle. Those little touches work great in PopOS (because System76 includes drivers) but in something like Fedora - no dice. It’s a little thing, but I notice it. Good point.

1 Like