Video Editing in Linux What is Your Experience?

It’s the Kclosest thing to forced proprietary the Klinux has to Kofter. Install and you get a Kbunch of Kcrap stuffed down your Kneck.
Kok ?
It always made me Knutz. Well. aint like I wasn’t before but more so.
:innocent: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

I could not disagree more with those statements but alright. You do you.

So… besides not liking the naming, what is it, specifically you do not like about KDE?

Just downloaded the Neon from KDE.org
Lemme have another Klook Ksee. Hey. I’ve tried it many times over many years. Last was MX19 KDE…I figure direct will be the best offered ?

I dont like the B word but formerly BLOAT. Gimme a day or two on Neon. Let’s see what the attraction is this Kround :innocent:

Respectfully, I think you are making an unfair assessment of what KDE is today. As far as Bloat goes, you can strip down Plasma to the bare minimum if you like but I prefer having a nice range of applications to work with. It is super easy to sudo zypper remove <application> for anything I don’t use. It is not like things are left behind that bog the system down. It should also be noted that disk space is not in short supply today and RAM usage is among the lowest for a “modern” desktop.

1 Like

My experience with video editing has been somewhat hit-or-miss, but it has gotten significantly better in the past two years alone. My most used on Linux has been Kdenlive, which I’ll say is probably the most complete and powerful FOSS/“native” Linux video editor.

While I do like it, I tend to have some performance issues when it comes to timeline performance, but there are some plans to address this and some existing workarounds. TBH, it’s an amazing editor, and a lot of the issues it’s been known to have are being ironed out at a rapid pace. And I’m very fond of their most recent update(s) which have made quick workflow changes between audio/effects/log super easy to do. Fantastic.

Shotcut is probably my favourite in terms of my experiences with it being the most stable and rendering with GPU being far easier to do. It uses the same underlying technologies such as MLT and FFMPEG that Kdenlive does, as well as OpenShot and some others. It’s what I currently use, though I hop back to Kdenlive from time to time.

2 Likes

KDE Neon is not the best option, Kubuntu is much better to try Plasma. However, you dont need to use KDE Plasma in order to use Kdenlive. Kdenlive offers a AppImage that can be used on any DE/Distro so you can use whatever you want and still use Kdenlive.

The days of worrying about having both GTK and KDE stuff together are long since gone.

Also MX Linux KDE is a VERY old version of Plasma due to it being based on Debian. MX Linux has KDE Plasma 5.14 vs the latest 5.20 so making your judgement based on very very old versions of a DE is not fair to the DE.

But again, you dont need Plasma to use Kdenlive.

1 Like

oK. Stepped on me again. My momma always said I was “challenged”.
Anyhoo Playing with Neon. Got synaptic in to hide from Kdiscover so that’s cool. Got Chromium.
I like the stripped effect of Neon.
I’ll admit, so far so good.
Got me a dark theme with blue borders and Oxygen.It was quick, even on a USB. Now it’s on a ssd. Smoking fast after purging that FireFarce nonsense. Gonna chase down Brave after a bit and figure out how to kill SnapCrap

You like this Kconsole input ?

sudo pkcon refresh && sudo pkcon update
sudo apt install synaptic
sudo apt install kubuntu-driver-manager
sudo apt install kubuntu-restricted-extras build-essential libreoffice libreoffice-style-breeze libreoffice-gtk3 libreoffice-kde smplayer clementine kup-backup gwenview kate gimp speedcrunch chromium-browser ktorrent kfind partitionmanager kio-extras gufw