Video Editing in Linux What is Your Experience?

I have been running Kdenlive 19.12 on openSUSE Tumbleweed. I have used been using all the releases since 18.12 and it has always been a great experience. It’s easy to use and incredibly stable. I don’t do anything terribly complicated, mostly fades and dissolves. If you have complaints about Kdenlive, use openSUSE. It is run through some pretty thorough QA which makes for a consistently reliable experience. Not that I have produced many videos but I have spent enough time in it to know that I can count on it.

3 Likes

Abstract!

Still just scratching the surface. . .

1 Like

I created a memorial video using Ubuntu and Kdenlive this summer. It didn’t end up being used, but it incorporated dissolves, slides, fades, and zooms.

I also edited the Golf With Friends highlights video with Flowblade, which is alright, but misses some functionality Kdenlive has (like effects).

1 Like

My issue with Kdenlive isn’t so much stability (although it does crash on me), it has more to do with the timeline and how I edit videos. I also find that the filters available vary widely in quality and capability. The UI is a bit clunky to me and the title editor is a frustrating experience. All that aside, it is a very powerful tool which many use to great effect. I know the scripting and automation capabilities appeal to many. Because I make simple videos and just need a tool that makes my life easy, I have been using Olive for quite a while and very much enjoy it.

2 Likes

Thank gnu very much. I’ll check Olive out some time.

How did you do this? Very cool!

After that, I am now convinced I need to try more video editors. My primary intent is just to highlight the positives and I am glad you are talking up Olive because that is only great news for all. I don’t really know anything about Olive outside of your comments which means, it’s time to branch out?

I really don’t mean to disparage Kdenlive. I have just found it difficult to use personally. That lead me to try other options (ALL of them…trust me) and the one that works best for me is Olive. I’d love to try Blender as an option but thus far haven’t been successful. Maybe I can add that to my 2020 todo list. :+1:

1 Like

Oh, Blender, for sure is on the list. I need to do that one. I guess you can do some pretty nifty animations with it. I also want to try out the 3D modeling capabilities with it as well.

I didn’t pick up any disparagement of Kdenlive. I thought those were valid criticisms. I just didn’t happen to have the same issues, perhaps because in my mind I was comparing it to Windows Media Maker from years ago. :man_shrugging:

I think Blender will be the next one on the list… you know… since Fusion 360 has the parametric design needs covered. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used Kdenlive Version 17.12.3 upon Ubuntu 18.04 with a whole slew of time effects, distortion, and mirroring. Original footage is from Prelinger’s Collection at Archive.org released as public domain by the United States Library of Congress. Clips were created by invoking ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i file.mp4 -f segment -segment_time 20 out_%04d.mp4

All audio was hardware synthesizers, although it was all recorded simply as left/right stereo into Ardour 5.12.0.

1 Like

I think Openshot would be worth revisiting. In an interview on Destination Linux earlier this year the developer mentioned that Openshot was now his full time job, I hope that means the sweet features are arriving thick and fast. It has blender integration too.

My video editing needs are so simplistic, the last videos I edited were done with Reaper audio software.

1 Like

From time to time I try the latest KDEnlive AppImage, and it’s stable enough for me to successfully make a video with simple effects like titling and fading. As noted by many before me, the Titling tool currently leaves something to be desired.

I’m looking forward to their upcoming April release, which is claimed to be featuring a new Titler (which has been long requested).

I think all the Open Source projects for non-linear video editing deserve huge kudos, as it’s a very difficult problem domain. They deserve support, for the deep expertise it takes to make for a smooth experience.

When you consider all the Open Source advocates who use these tools to sing the praises of Open Source in their videos, then they put these videos out there to attract more folks, you might say these non-linear video editors actually comprise an essential part of the infrastructure in the Open Source world - essential for marketing. A great example of a stalwart Open Source (and KDEnlive) advocate is The Linux Gamer.

1 Like

Shotcut. I avoid anything that starts with a K.

Unfortunate. You’re missing out on some of the best graphics and video editing apps on the Linux platform.

1 Like

Recommend ?
I like simple.

That is a vague qualifier, but I think Krita can’t be beat as a digital artwork application.

Kdenlive, disputed in this very thread, I believe to be the best FLOSS general video editor going.

oKular is probably the best PDF and PDF adjacent reader on Linux.

Simple though, idk, KolourPaint? :slight_smile:

I like K-rayolaz… :rofl: oKular still has a K in there. I use Xpdf :wink:

dismissing something outright because it has a K in it is missing a ton of valuable stuff. Just because something is complicated doesnt mean it is bad, it means it has a higher barrier of entry but that can be good. For example, there is no such thing as a simple but powerful video editor. You either have simple or you have powerful. Kdenlive isnt the simplest video editor but it is very powerful and that is why I use it as my main editor.

I’m funning with you.I found Kdenlive a pain and I detest KDE overall but don’t deny there are a few good packages they make

not sure why you detest KDE. I think they make a lot of the best stuff including the Plasma desktop, my favorite DE since 2014. :smiley: