Tux and creating /playing music

Just as an idea, my music teachers laptop (macbook) is dying. I said that linux can do the same what a macbook can, when it comes to music. (And more). Whereupon he said, “yes i know, but i don’t want to fiddle for hours on end with the program, before starting”.
This made me wonder if there is music software ready to use (like Ardour), for linux.
Maybe this could serve as an idea for a podcast?

It really depends on what your teacher is currently using on his Mac for making music. The best way is usually to give them an app that works in Linux on their current platform and go from there. So I’m assuming you mentioned Ardour which is a DAW. Linux has a few different options now the following ones are closed source but available on MacOS you have Reaper, Traction, and Bitwig are all DAW that come to mind that are available on MacOS and Linux and Windows for that matter.

1 Like

I’ve FINALLY after the last few years of knowing about it to delve more into LMMS and I’ve enjoyed it thus far. I’m a noob though when it comes to making electronic music on Linux but I like that it’s FOSS (and available on multiple platforms). I made techno/trance for several years on ModPlugTracker (now OpenMPT) and the ejay programs on Windows back in the day. I have not tried the options Matt mentioned but he is way more knowledgeable than I so I trust his input.

1 Like

Yeah, really depends what they’re used to already. Nothing compares to Logic in all honesty, so if they’re using that they will have a hard time transitioning to anything even on Mac. Ardour is the most ProTools like workflow and Reaper has a workflow of it’s own which takes getting used to but, in my opinion, is the best option on any OS.

1 Like

Allright. I’ll have a look at what he’s using right now and make a few suggestions. Let’s see where that takes me.

Thanks for all the help!!

1 Like