The Gaming Distro | Linux Out Loud 31

This week, Linux Out Loud chats about Linux gaming distros.

Welcome to episode 31 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:10 Major Appliance Problems
00:06:50 Silent Hill
00:11:15 USB controller for TheC64
00:18:56 The Gaming Distro
00:42:53 Game of the Week
00:47:00 Spike Update
00:56:36 Fence Building
01:00:08 Close

Main Topic

Wendy

Nate

Matt

Our sponsors:

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattGameSphere)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

First time I have seen Ubuntu Budgie recommended as a gaming distro, and Regata Linux looks interesting.

Sparky Linux had some software for installing emulators, which I thought was cool.

Trying Nobara now, the official image based on Gnome. Is cool, but think it needs more testing. Just a few issues that don’t seem to be very polished. Wish they had a Budgie Spin.

But they also have a pure Gnome ISO and a KDE ISO which might have less paper cuts.

1 Like

What issues were you running into on Nobara?

So I did download the official ISO which mixes up Gnome a bit. Might get better mileage if I went with either the Gnome ISO or the KDE ISO. Am aware this is still a work in development.

The issue I had was trying to close a window using the touchpad.
Clicking on the X button with left mouse (on touchpad)
would generally open the right click menu, or very occasionally close the window.

To fix this, disable Mouse Click Emulation in the “Tweaks” settings.
By default the bottom right of the touchpad gets treated as Right Click,
but my Lenovo Legion 5 laptop seriously merges bottom right into bottom left here.

So my touchpad, I now effectively have no right click available to me, and I have to track down a mouse every time I want a right click, as there seems to be no other options for emulating a right mouse click other then the one my touchpad has serious problems with.

I’m currently using Budgie DE on Arch, works fantastic! plays really well with my 6800 xt and wayland.

1 Like

Long time ago I remember Jason Evangelho made some interesting benchmarks and iirc the explanations was Budgie was good for gaming because of its lean use of ressources.

I’ve used Ubuntu Budgie on old computers for quite a while because it was a nice mix between modern desktop and fluidity on older hardware

2 Likes

Nobara has just released another ISO.

The trackpad issues I had before are all fixed.
So very happy with Nobara now.

Looks like they are doing well on the development side.

4 Likes

Nice update!

Indeed ! Reading their aim with that distro made me want to try Nobara as I seem to be their targeted audience exactly :grinning: It’s still early but it’s been pleasant :+1:

2 Likes

New update of Nobara,

Will be trying their KDE spin this time.

Wish I could find a Torrent download link, as the alternative seems very slow for 3 Gig.

edit… (non-torrent download painfully slow)

edit… (desktop went to sleep, download failed)

1 Like

Did you ever get it downloaded?

Will try again during non peak times. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t encounter any problem while downloading the latest Nobara ISO last week :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I have very bad luck getting Nobara to install on my SSD…
it installed fine on an old slow hard drive… On the SSD, it would create the UEFI entry, but with no install listing, Nobara is a odd one…

It did create something unusual on my SSD as well. Apparently Nobara didn’t use the UEFI partition that was already there but created its own ext4 partition for boot (??). Hence it never appeared on the other grubs and I was unable to boot to another OS from the Nobara grub…

Every time I try to partition manually with Nobara it stuffs up something and will not boot.

Give it an entire partition to set up like it wants and it works every time.

Bit frustrating but… :slight_smile:

Would be really nice if it let you partition everything and then be able to hand it over to auto for one partition, but it seems to be one or the other.

So, I am enjoying playing around with Ubuntu Budgie here,

Never thought I was going to make the return to Ubuntu after switching from Ubuntu to Linux Mint, then the Debian edition of Linux Mint, Enjoyed Solus for a while before experimenting with Manjaro and Arch…

Nobara had me for a few seconds… but using a Fedora based distro with Nvidia graphics for gaming always seems a bit of a risk for me. The last Nobara release left me with a black screen of death after installing Nvidia drivers.

So back to Ubuntu with a bit of Solus thrown in, (budgie desktop) seems like a good place to halt the distro hopping for now.

And I noticed Ubuntu Budgie was mentioned as a gaming Distro!
Might throw in some of the tools from Ubuntu Studio for good measure.

1 Like

My kids got their system built and we through Grauda on it. VR is working without having to install any additional y drivers, so that is a win.

1 Like