Switching to Linux (An Ongoing Story)

and not it is a TOTALLY unhealthy obsession with openSUSE there is no almost.

1 Like

ALMOST… I’ll keep insisting. :slight_smile:

I disagree. Linux makes you live longer… It brings renewed life to aging hardware after all. I’d dare to say “the HEALTHIEST obsession”

1 Like

Journal Entry #4
Well Hello There!
It has been 8 weeks since I last posted. WOW.
In my life during that time, there has been no less than:
5 birthed kittens,
a few weeks of learning how to manage LVM,
2 devastating family tragedies,
a smattering of frustration trying to edit using OpenShot on Windows,
and a ton of crippling social anxiety.

But it is here now.
I have finally finished the ElementaryOS testing video.

To sum it up:
ElementaryOS is a beautifully constructed Linux OS.
The installer is simple and fast.
The desktop is clean and responsive even on the old system I’m testing on.
I wish that the SuperKey would bring up the App Search instead of the shortcuts splash screen, but once I loaded the programs I wanted on the launcher/dock, the point became moot.

The usage of LVM out of the box makes expanding the storage simple from a terminal.
Most people won’t need to in any case.
I’m installing many space gobbling games, so storage will always be at a premium.

With flatpack integration, I was able to get several games on my list to install and run with no problem. (RE Steam, Minecraft, Xonotic, Minigalaxy)

However, in my ignorance and inexperience I was unable to get Lutris to function properly, which in turn stopped Battle.net (for Diablo 2), and World of Tanks (Wargaming etc) from working, and my WINE setup stopped Fortnite from functioning in the Heroic Games Launcher.

For those people in your life who aren’t going to try and mangle their computer as I have, then ElementaryOS is a good choice.

The kittens and mama cat have been returned to the local humane society for adoption; we were sad to see them go.
I have upgraded my gaming rig from the Radeon VII to a 6900XT.
I’m debating replacing the 3900X with a 5900X.

Now on to POP!_OS. (21.10 was released while I was dawdling. Bonus!)
(The Lutris Project Creator was on Destination Linux 255, and I believe he said Pop!_OS is his choice for Lutris, so I have high hopes.)

1 Like

I don’t think this can be helped yet. I can’t get it to work either. I use a free GeForce Now account to play this game in a browser instead.

Great to see your thread updated :+1:

Battle.net was running fine for me via Lutris on Pop OS 21.04. I recently tried it on Salient as a test for this game oriented distro and it worked right away after installation !