[Raspberry Pi] What is your use case for your RaspPi

Im using the Nextcloud:apache docker img, that’s a good tip on the Nextcloud talk, I have been wondering abt that.

There also doesn’t seem to be an armv7 document backend which bummed me out

Have you used Rocket.Chat at all as a comparison to Mattermost?

Since push notifications are important to my particular use case, no, @snorlax

And after I took a brief look at all the hoops one would have to jump through to set up one’s own push notification server, sometimes even requiring publishing one’s own branded apps in an app store (and gain all the authorizations and permissions that Google and Apple are the gatekeepers of), I decided I wanted that aspect of the server to be as hassle-free as possible.

I recognized push notifications as being the elephant in my room which I had to tiptoe around, as it were.

When I see that more people are using these for somewhat mission critical purposes, I have to wonder about fault tolerance and redundancy. Have you (or anyone else) thought about failover and recovery?

1 Like

My advice is to:

1. Use an “Endurance” microSD card:
  1. Take the server offline once in a while and back up the MicroSD card on another machine with a command like:

time zstd -v --threads=4 < /dev/sdX > /home/youruser/imgs/MicroSD_Card_img.zst

…and restore with:

time zstdcat -v /home/youruser/imgs/MicroSD_Card_img.zst > /dev/sdX

As to redundancy (which is a level of “hardcoreness” I don’t feel like touching, at present, as I don’t need to have my hair turn white prematurely), I think some system which uses a database such as MariaDB or MongoDB should be used, which is capable of doing the replicating for you. The redundancy is not some afterthought. Witness how Docker Swarm never really took off; it’s more of an “afterthought” sort of approach to redundancy.

PS: I backed up my Mattermost install yesterday with a command just like the above. It crushed down to about 1.5GB. That includes Raspbian (Debian Buster 10), plus a fully functional Mattermost install, with Wireguard, not SSL, to allow secure, remote, firewall-punching connections).

4 Likes

Not a Smart TV, but my Linksys sends a ping every 30 seconds or so. I blocked it pretty fast.

pwnagotchi, Kali, Zabbix, and ansible. All of which are for educational purposes. I am currently working on a pi zero cluster concept project.

I will need to work on a PiHole as well.

1 Like

That’s an excellent way to handle it. Thanks for explaining. I appreciate the insight.

1 Like

Mattermost Team server 5.21 is performant, on a RPi4, granted you install Ubuntu 19.10 64-bit on it, not Raspbian 32-bit on it. See this post for more info.

Wow, did I drink a lot of coffee, to learn that the hard way.

1 Like

That image on the cup looks vaguely familiar. Like the urn painting in Mary Poppins Returns.

2 Likes

We’re getting OT, but the image is that of a Buddhist monk.

I think it’s The Willow Pattern (or a varient of) - most usually seen in blue on blue and white china plates, cups & saucers, mugs, etc. - it is/was a very popular design. I can’t remember seeing it in full colour before.

3 Likes

I haven’t got a Pi yet, but am very tempted by this use case - a weather station, and the build guide is a great video. Even kids could learn & make using this video … and it’s explained well enough for non-coding adults like me too! :grinning:
It’s an Explaining Computers video of course:

2 Likes

Opencanary makes a honeypot to detect that bad actors are on your LAN, and are poking around for network services they can potentially hack. I wrote a quick and dirty set of instructions for installing it on an RPi4:

1 Like