Plasma 5.18, what has your experience been?

Thanks for these replies.

I don’t object to a moderator splitting this conversation out into a new thread called something like “Best SBC or laptop for Manjaro ARM KDE Plasma 20.02.”

So at present, the eMMC does work for mainline, but not SSD via M.2? Or do neither of these work in mainline at present.

This is great news. So it sounds like the Youtube goodness (above) I’m wanting will fairly soon come along in Chromium, and is on track to be mainlined.

I’ve been keeping an eye on a few RK3399-based SBC’s over on Armbian for a while, and the maturity in the kernel has been coming along for a good long while now.

Huge kudos for both yours (over at Manjaro) and all those other long-standing wider community efforts, which seem to be finally seeing the light of day, fairly recently (at least from my non-expert point of view in the world of ARM development in Linux), where evrything is getting nice and stable.

eMMC does work on mainline. SSD via M.2 does not yet. The dts’s are missing some nodes for that.

1 Like

Very helpful!

Well, there is still plenty of thunder which the RPi4 still deserves, but you’ve convinced me those boards are quickly running away with it. Especially once that video acceleration goes mainline, as many people consider smooth Youtubing to be a basic requirement of Desktop usage (and I say this not because I like Google, but rather because Chris Barnatt always shows how Youtube fares whenever he reviews some SBC on “Explaining Computers”, as that’s what the masses seem to like assurance about).

I love how the RPi4 is cheap, but I don’t love telling people how they need to periodically make backups of their MicroSD card with the OS (a little more aggressively than normal), in case it wears out (like after 6 months or so, I hear).

The video acceleration is in mainline. It’s just in the staging section of the kernel.
But as long as Firefox does not support video acceleration it won’t matter much, if you watch Youtube via Firefox anyway. It will always be software decoding with Firefox. And on most boards, that run just fine these days, since the ARM CPU’s have become quite powerful.
Not sure how Chromium would handle it, since I don’t use it.

Mostly, it’s been great, but I (on openSUSE Tumbleweed) have not been successful in matching my Qt and GTK+ themes. I thought that 5.18 was supposed to eliminate these headaches?

2 Likes

I have a specific theme I use for Plasma that I put together that is mostly hit for me. If I just went with the Breeze dark I would have everything matching fine.

Are you seeing the issue where GTK apps have a very basic theme? If so, try going to Application Style, change the theme to something else, apply, and then change it back to whatever (probably Breeze) and apply again. I’ve had this issue in Plasma for the past few releases and this usually fixes it.

1 Like

I’m looking for Breeze Dark. Unfortunately, this workaround did not fix it for me.