Password Managers?

So is this somehow considered not spam?

It was flagged and hidden yesterday.

You are right. The post is still visible and I was the person that flagged it yesterday. Strange.

Maybe it does not look like spam because the spammer just copied the text from a valid post but it added a link that I personally was not going to click on.

It used to be commonplace on forums to have a signature whichā€™d be added below every post and itā€™d usually be something about youself like how to contact you. Zeb complained about not having this on the forum way back in the beginning. Discourse can add that feature but itā€™s not on by default.

Thereā€™s a possibility that the post was intended merely as a delivery mechanism for a link but the person seems to know the show well, took some time making the post and if I took a guess why a random link was there iā€™d be that they couldnā€™t find where to put a signature so they just appended it.

Iā€™m not sure and iā€™ve been too strict before on new users so I aired with caution.

@Ulfnic, itā€™s just a copy-paste of MarkofCainā€™s previous post in this thread, unedited and unquoted but with a link. Iā€™d argue itā€™s actually MarkofCain who is familiar with the show.

It is in indeed and the minor edits speak to me of mild human intervention. Good catch, thank you.

1 Like

i have been using pass for months and have never looked back. its amazing. you just have to have your gpg key backed up which i do by having it on my phoneā€¦ i have everything synced with git so syncing is not a problem. and as @Ulfnic pointed out, its extremely extensible thanks to the xdotool support.

A former keepass, Lastpass, and pass user here. Keepass and pass are great and amazing but they often lack cross platform functionality. If you are looking for mobile solutions that makes it even more difficult. Lastpass is nice but the owning company as well as the proprietary license makes it questionable.

I have been using Bitwarden for sometime now and before it was mentioned on Destination Linux or related shows. It works well for me and ticks the right boxes. Cross platform (Linux and iOS and trying to get some Windows members of my family to join in), low learning curve (older family members can use it), open source, local encryption, can be selfhosted or not, two factor authentication (I use a yubikey), and the pricing model for their service is beyond excellent. I use the organization method to set up new accounts for my mother so she has access to them and in case of emergency I have access. She is not tech savvy but she is at least secure. I have used their support and I will say that they are super friendly and eager to help.

4 Likes

That is not my experience. Keepass runs fine on Android, iOS and all platforms for two or three years at least. :person_shrugging:

The obvious solution to that is never use anything but Linux on all devices.

If anyone can successfully maintain a stable career and human relationships using that strategy please let me know so I can copy you.

5 Likes

If only the world was that better place. There would be world peace until we try to rewrite init again.

Getting there slowlyā€¦ But surely.

Bitwarden got number 1 for Free password managers.

3 Likes