Our Hopes for Linux in 2020, Elitism in Linux, Best OS for Raspberry Pi | Destination Linux 155

In your last couple of comments you have put the heart symbol in your comments multiple times and referred to Microsoft having to prove they heart linux because they said it.

When I see things like this it makes me think Martin Wimoress is correct and it is frequently over memed. I mean they said it, so what? Can’t you just discuss good things they do on the show and acknowledge it, discuss bad things they do and acknowledge it, then give your overall view on them as a company. That would be fine, but it is just constantly littered with references to hearting linux, and I think it is detrimental to the show. It’s was mildly amusing the first few times, but for it to come up every. Single. Time. That microsoft is mentioned just makes me sigh and pay less attention to what you’re actually talking about, because I know how it’s going to end.

OK, in response to Raspberry PI use/OS
I have 3 or maybe 4 pi 2’s sitting in the draw waiting for a new use
3 pi 3’s one running Libreelec, one nextcloudpi and another running Octopi for my 3d printer
Then there is another pi3 running homeassisant.
Then the pi 4 for waing for libreelec but I haven’t got around to it.One the mint .

I used to use Mint but felt restricted and found their forums a bit offish if you asked about using the Distro for software they don’t have in the repo or want ed more up to date stuff. They also stopped KDE which I why I moved to Kubuntu then KDE neon.

Edit- I for got the one used for flashing tasmota on to ESP IOT devices to get them of the cloud.

Thanks for another great show.

Indeed, and it shouldn’t really be a surprise that they only exist to make money, that’s the definition of a business in it’s most basic state. So if :heart:ing Linux leads to money they’ll do it, but if :fire: Linux leads to money they’ll be just as willing to do that, I believe.

It’s a business decision, not a change of philosophy.

Does anyone think Microsoft bought GitHub to do good for open source? I sure don’t. I think they’re planning to do what has always worked for them. Adopt a thing/standard/whatever, make their own version of it, incentivise it’s adoption, introduce interoperability issues with the non-MS versions to discourage their use. The old ‘Embrace, Extend, Extinguish’.

Like you said in a previous episode, great if they want to make things available for Linux, but why are we bending over backwards to help them?

1 Like

On the automation for KDE settings question; some posters on the Manjaro forum have worked up a distro specific script it seems (I’m not a kde user) that may be usable start or good example: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/transfuse-kde-user-config-backup-script/88661?u=airclay

1 Like

Thanks everyone for another entertaining and informative episode :slight_smile:

@zebedee.boss I definitely agree that if more users participated in ways that bring value to the community, such as providing feedback via testing, that would benefit us all. @MichaelTunnell I also agree in my hope that universal packages will be used more.

Also I do think that any criticism that I’ve seen in these shows has actually been useful and for the benefit of the community rather than just plain negative. I agree that remaining informed - even when it’s honest reflection on what is not working - is a way to improve everything about Linux.

2 Likes