Our Desktop Awesome Sauce | Linux Out Loud 26

This week, Linux Out Loud chats about our top 3 desktop features we take for granted.

Welcome to episode 26 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00 Introduction
01:46 SteamDeck Dock
12:01 SteamDeck Keyboard
15:15 Teaser + Outtakes
18:21 Bad Matt
20:59 Desktop Awesome Sauce
40:21 Game of the Week
45:00 Pi-Hole
49:39 Tenacity Update
55:56 Close

Matt

Wendy

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattGameSphere)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

On the show, y’all talked about having applications open in specific places… how do you do that? Also, do any of you know how to make arbitrary snap areas / regions? I used to do this with Better Snap Tool on macOS but haven’t found a Linux alternative yet.

1 Like

Using KDE Plasma. If you right-click the title bar, then go down to More Actions → Configure Special Window Settings

or

Open Settings → Workspace → Window Managment → Window Rules

Once there you can set it up. Use the “Add Properties” button to configure size, placement, and more.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks! Any idea if there’s any equivalent on non-KDE setups? My main machine is Pop and y secondary is Ubuntu Budgie.

1 Like

Yes, it works on many window managers, most of the tilers or Openbox e.g. Now on Gnome I have really no idea.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’ll look over my daughter’s laptop tomorrow (running Pop) and see if I can find something.