OpenCL R7 AMD Fedora?

After spending hours digging around the interwebs, I thought maybe someone here can help point me in the right direction. I have a pretty basic older R7 2GB GPU. I just installed Fedora 36 and have discovered that If I use hashcat I get an warning that “Unstable OpenCL driver detected!”. I also got this message with this same GPU on Manjaro. Does anyone know perhaps if my card does not support OpenCL? or perhaps I should be using a different distro? Thanks!

I see the system is using MESA and I spent sometime trying to install drivers from AMD but so far have not succeded. My reading seems to indicate perhaps Ubuntu would work better? I could go that route but was excited to try out Fedora.

• Device #1: Unstable OpenCL driver detected!

OpenCL Info:

OpenCL Platform ID #1
Vendor…: Mesa
Name…: Clover
Version.: OpenCL 1.1 Mesa 22.0.3

Backend Device ID #1
Type…: GPU
Vendor.ID…: 1
Vendor…: AMD
Name…: AMD OLAND (LLVM 14.0.0, DRM 2.50, 5.17.12-300.fc36.x86_64)
Version…: OpenCL 1.1 Mesa 22.0.3
Processor(s)…: 5
Clock…: 780
Memory.Total…: 2048 MB (limited to 1433 MB allocatable in one block)
Memory.Free…: 1920 MB
OpenCL.Version.: OpenCL C 1.1
Driver.Version.: 22.0.3

AMD openCL creates some complications. It’s needed for certain applications and the MESA version doesn’t register with the majority of them. If you need openCL support you will need to install AMD Pro drivers which are not open source. Probably why people are mentioning Ubuntu as I believe they’re the only ‘officially’ supported distro for the proprietary Pro drivers. The other option is Arch/Manjaro where there is a package that let’s you install just the Pro openCL driver but keeps the Mesa open source driver for everything else. The MESA driver actually performs better in almost all cases (especially gaming) so that’s the best bet for most people. However, if you need openCL support you should research the AMD Pro drivers. It’s a pain to install even in Ubuntu as I’ve always run into conflicts that need to be resolved.

1 Like

I just listened to the latest episode of the DLN podcast. Sounds like the same issue you discussed with DaVinci Resolve. Weird timing… Thank you very much for the clarification on what I am running into. I will see if I can make it work on Fedora, otherwise I may go back and try Manjaro again. My gaming needs don’t amount to anything on this machine, yet at least… pretty sure Hedgewars will run just fine no matter what :slight_smile:

P.S I mainly just listen to the Podcasts, and have wondered for sometime why a Dos-Geek show would interest the Linux community… I see now I was the fool, lol. I will check out the dasgeek show now that I don’t think its about DOS 5.0