New App Search | Linux Out Loud 25

This week, Linux Out Loud chats about how we discover new apps in Linux or even in general.

Welcome to episode 25 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00 Introduction
01:26 Starting FLL 2022
04:47 Game Sphere
06:09 Ear Buds
10:30 New App Search
27:25 Python Bundle
29:46 Game of the Week
33:05 Solar Panel Pains
35:39 Close

Wendy

Matt

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattGameSphere)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

Great show. Just wanted to add my experience. I’m constantly actively looking for something better to replace basically everything. Manually searching high and low works fairly well for desktop use, but I’ve found mobile (iOS specifically for me) to be much more difficult. For instance, I’ve recently been struggling to find a podcast app to replace Pocket Casts. There are many options but the majority of them are cash grabs or data leeches. The order in which the App Store lists them seems incredibly arbitrary as well.

This isn’t the case when I go looking for say, an open source replacement for MP3Tag. There are many many options and lots of other people interested in the same thing who are willing to have a discussion about it. It’s a far more enjoyable experience.

I haven’t personally participated (yet) but it seems Android doesn’t suffer from the same problems as iOS in this. The fact that alternatives to the Play Store, such as F-Droid, are readily available and active. I wonder how much being able to freely share your app plays in to this.

All that said, I learn of lots of very cool apps I didn’t know I needed from podcasts. Between the TD network and the JB network, I’m inundated with tools I don’t need or fully know how to use, but boy are they cool! I’m looking’ at you *top programs! :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your app search experience!

Ya, finding good apps for the phone can be hard. Thankfully the open source options are getting better and better.

1 Like