Microsoft Edge on Linux - any takers?!

I’ve, personally, been pretty happy on Firefox, but if I install linux for someone who’s pretty familiar and established in an Edge workflow, I think it’s great that they have a cross-platform option available.
I probably would be more interested if I came from the Windows 8/10 generation, but since Firefox got to me before Edge, I tend to stick with what’s familiar.

2 Likes

As someone mentioned earlier, I too am the lone Linux desktop dissenter in a Windows shop. I do what I can to play nice with the other folks and having Edge on Linux would certainly decrease the amount of feathers ruffled.

1 Like

If Edge will support all that Microsoft only code like ASP.NET, I might consider it since I’m stuck managing several legacy SharePoint 2013/2016 sites. Bru even Edge on Windows still doesn’t properly support these Microsoft Web technologies.

1 Like

We ended up moving our SharePoint site to Azure for the sake of our own sanity.

2 Likes

What benefit did you see from that? Sorry, I know this isn’t a Microsoft SharePoint forum. I wish SharePoint 100% conformed to HTML5 standards and I could completely manage SharePoint from a Linux desktop.

Because trying to get it patched correctly was an absolute nightmare. We switched to a managed instance and they take care of the updates.

I am sure it was by design. Since the CEO who replaced Ballmer, MS has been pushing heavy on the business user, and cancelling nearly all consumer products. They have also been making it harder to get actual software from them, and instead pushing the subscription services (as have been a lot of other companies).

I am sure there is an open source alternative, but I have not really looked into that.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Windows 10 version of the new Edge and it’s a solid browser (perhaps because it has a good base in Chromium). I’ve traditionally avoided Microsoft’s in-house browsers like the plague but this doesn’t have the same stink on it as IE as far as I can tell.

I’ll give it a shot in Linux. It’s a pretty Chromium build if nothing else.

1 Like

I’ve not been following Microsoft news on their Chromium-based Edge, so don’t know if it’s open source or just based on open source like Google’s Chrome is, meaning with some closed-source elements. I have to say I’m squeamish installing Microsoft applications on Linux as I simply don’t trust them with their record of anti-competitive behaviour. We know Google puts all sorts of things in sites like youtube to try to make other browsers look worse than theirs; I wouldn’t put it past Microsoft to put code in their apps that are designed to slow down the whole system when running Linux, to make their OS look better. Sorry if this seems cynical but we’ve seen this type of thing too often :frowning:

I am all about trying it out. Not because I am excited about Edge but I am hoping that if some things standardize against that, compatibility on Linux will be even greater. That is my big concern. I find that when I am using Linux, specifically openSUSE with Plasma desktop, I am happiest using the computer. When I use Windows or Mac, I am very unhappy with my experience. So, I will grin and bear the proprietary software but as long as I have it in my “open source” container, I am far more content. I have been doing online training and I had to use Chrome because something was wonkey in Firefox. I would have actually preferred using Edge over Chrome, actually.

3 Likes

Having a standard browser across multiple operating systems is a boon for enterprises that need a like environment. If this opens up the possibility of the freedom to use any OS then that’s a good thing. I don’t expect regular users to see much value in Edge on Linux although they might offer some compelling features. I’m at least willing to look at it, so I can have an informed opinion.

1 Like

Not sure if MS is simply just ‘trying something to see if it works’, (As per the new business model since Windows 8, apparently.) But, the latest proposed iterations seem a little disturbing.

One of the commenters in the article mentioned additions like this would be fine as an extension, but when it comes to integrating your finances or bank accounts into web browser extensions, I got to question the wisdom in that.

I remain excited to have Edge come to Linux. The more choice and options available on Linux, the better. (Within reason, KDE. Within reason. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: ) But “The option to disable is always going to be second fiddle to the option to enable.”

2 Likes