Microsoft Edge on Linux - any takers?!

I’m a Firefox user and have been for many, many years. Had very little interest in Google’s browser Chrome when it first came out, partly because I was uncomfortable with what I’d read about how they’d treated Mozilla. As for Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and it’s awful adherence to standards back when it was their main offering, I only look back thankful it’s finally gone. Then the failure of their newer updated “Edge” before they made it a version of Chrome, again, I never have nor do I plan to touch it at all - unless a time comes when industry requirements force me to in certain contexts, such as when MS Office or other proprietary software is needed.

Anybody here interested in giving Microsoft Edge a run on their Linux system? I’d be interested in hearing why or why not?

Also Microsoft will apparently be bringing their anti-virus to Linux soon too…

4 Likes

No thanks as well.
There’s no point in giving away privacy to Microsoft.

4 Likes

As a WebDev, I’d probably use it for the same reason I use it now - to test web pages. Otherwise, I’d only use it if I came across a websites that I strongly need/want to use that has a better experience in it vs. Firefox, then Vivaldi, then Chromium, then Chrome (which, if it’s based on Chromium, I wouldn’t think that something would work better in Edge vs base Chromium or Chrome)…

2 Likes

Not a chance. It’s just another chrome thing and that market share needs to drop.

6 Likes

No interest at all. I use Firefox and I really do not need another Chromium based browser.

5 Likes

I’m taking a wait and see approach. I highly doubt it will ever replace Firefox as my day to day browser of choice but I need to use a Chromium-based browser for testing websites and don’t really love installing Chrome. If it comes down to who I trust more, Google or Microsoft, I can’t say I’ve formed a solid opinion at this point. Like anything though, I prefer to keep an open mind rather than just dismissing something without having done my own research.

3 Likes

Probably. I’m on Ubuntu so I would say more likely if it happened to be a snap. Sometimes I like having a totally different browser, profile, environment for checking something related to compatibility or rendering.

4 Likes

Maybe Internet Explorer. Since Google owns the Chromium project, I have no interest in using anything based on that,

1 Like

If you need a chromium-based browser at all costs and don’t trust Google nor Microsoft, there’s still the Brave Browser.
It’s privacy-oriented (despite it’s opt-in ad-based rewards model) and at least is open source.

1 Like

There is also Chromium, opera, vivaldi amongst others.

1 Like

Why? There’s no need for it.

3 Likes

Personally, no, I will not be using it.

But since I work for a corporation and we need to test things I’ll throw it on my test box and see how our software stack works on it…not that any of our users are on Linux anymore. :frowning:

1 Like

I would. I’d have it as my backup browser, especially if I need to use services that works best on Chromium-based browsers.

Firefox will still be my main, though.

1 Like

Dear MS, if you decide to do a snap (which I feel is the best way, personally), please don’t make a “classic” snap, but rather a proper snap which has proper app containment (which the classic snaps don’t do right). Without any such trustworthy-looking containment, I’m highly confident that you’ll alienate most potential linux users, who won’t want your browser looking around in places where it shouldn’t.

You know, just like Chrome was recently caught doing.

PS: Come to think of it, please stay off the “Asshole Design” sub-reddit altogether, MS. Thanks, and much appreciated. :wink:

8 Likes

I feel you, it’s a tough gig testing websites.

For a second I thought it might be nice if they brought over legacy Edge and IE as well, but given the grossness of the latter, they are probably better left inside the VMs Microsoft already freely provide for testing.

2 Likes

Microsoft making Edge for Linux users:

13 Likes

GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!

That was great!~

2 Likes

My workplace, which is Windows-heavy, is using IE for some of the applications (I work at a hotel as their IT). Having Edge on Linux would most likely decrease the barrier of using Linux, and maybe even let me use it (I have to use Windows there).

4 Likes

Hello,

Linux already has some of the best browsers available. Edge can stay on MSWin as even they are complaining about it’s function.

1 Like

Edge may be a joke, but there is one nice item in it I really like. While shopping on some sites, the Cortana icon will appear in the address bar. You click on it, and it will display coupon codes available on that site for discounts. I saw one for Office Depot for 30% off once on any purchase.

3 Likes