LinkedIn PII Information Found For-Sale

1 Like

changing my password RFN!

1 Like

I did the same.

I also opened a support case to ask some, um, questions about this breach. Like, when are you going to make a public statement, when are you going to inform your customers, what PII was exposed, and what are you going to do about it. I’m really curious to how they respond, publicly.

This should be interesting…

As a follow-up to the support case I opened with LinkedIn on this security breach, I got the expected denial that there has been any breach and that their systems are safe, that they have automated measures in place to protect from such issues, and, get this, that they don’t save any such data on their back-end systems.

I thought about asking how they can verify my login credential without “any such data saved on their back-end systems”, but I didn’t waste my time any further. Instead, I replied with the usual, if you want my continued trust, you must confront this issue and make a statement about it.

They’re going to play the ignorance game…until now. The article below states that LinkedIn is aware of the breach.

So, LinkedIn did not take my inquiry very seriously. I’m not at all surprised.

One small step I can suggest for this specific type of issue is the use of +strings in the email address you use when creating online accounts. It’s 100%, but it does help. For example, let’s pretend for a moment that my email was mr_mcbride@gmail.com ( don’t try it, I use ProtonMail ), I wanted to create an account on LinkedIn. I would enter my email address as mr_mcbride+linkedin.com@gmail.com. If my email ever gets compromised ( or sold to a third party ), I have a chance of knowing where it was compromised from ( or sold from ).

I have been doing this for many years now, and it has worked well for me. I have caught several sites providing my information to a 3rd party and they have a very hard time denying it as using this technical makes very online account you register unique. Using this technique in combination with a good password manager, like BitWarden, is very easy. You are using a different password for every online account aren’t you? Again, BitWarden makes this very easy.

Be safe out there !!!

2 Likes

Awesome tip. I didn’t know you could do that with email addresses.

Not all applications / providers allow it, and, some online sites don’t allow the + character, but use it where you can.