In the coming year, what do you plan to do with Linux that you've never done before?

I plan to custom build an OS either based on Linux From Scratch, or Gentoo - maybe even Arch - that’s sufficient for my personal basics that don’t require an internet connection.

What are you planning to do with Linux in the coming year that you’ve never done before?!

2 Likes

A bit of an inevitable, but this year, I plan on using Linux full time. This will be the first year without Windows in my household.

Outside of that, because I have been coming up with new ways to utilize Linux, I will absolutely accomplish tasks with Linux that I haven’t thought of this year.

5 Likes

As much actual home automation as I can do. From lights to temperature control, all internal, maybe with some Mycroft control.

The point is, nothing but internal control. No companies controlling for me.

3 Likes

Maybe I will install an online radio for the kitchen with the help of a Raspberry Pi.

I still need to build a new desktop for my office for educational purposes, preferably also using a Pi connected to a monitor.

3 Likes

I plan on getting audio calls and texting to work over SIM networks during 2020. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

12 months usage :joy:

2 Likes

Same here. Been on it for 9 months now, and this marks the first year where I’ll be using it all year (hopefully!). Never been a regular Linux user, just someone who tried it out on a yearly basis to see what it was like. But March last year saw me make the move, and I haven’t looked back since :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m new here and this is my first post :slight_smile: My big plan for 2020 is to ditch all Google services (started already and deleted one account completely). This include getting rid of my Android phone, so really I cannot wait until March when I will order (hopefully) a PinePhone.

6 Likes

A big and friendly welcome!

Sounds great so far. I love the ditching of the Android phone! :+1:

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean :+1:

This year will be similar for me, NextCloud to host all my stuff currently spread across Google or Dropbox. Pinephone to replace my Android phone, already got the Pinebook Pro which I am really impressed with for the small price tag.

At that point I may as well get a PineTime to complete the trio.

2 Likes

I still have both Google Drive and Dropbox accounts, however I try to use them as little as possible and not for important data. For sharing larger files I mostly use Firefox Send.
I was thinking about getting myself a Pinbook Pro but my 10 years old Asus P52F is working just great on Elementary OS, especially after I upgraded it with more RAM and SSD instead of HDD. I just spent so much time on this oldie I do not want to replace it with anything else, lol. Also there is a very special game to me (Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri) which I must have on my Linux machine. I was wondering if this game would work if I try to install it on ARM architecture?
Regarding a smart watch - I got a Fitbit Charge 2 - only because I was getting it for free. This type of device in not essential to me, but I must admit, the PineTime looks interesting. It is possible that I will be getting myself I PineTime, simply to support Pine64 this way and also because Fitbit was recently purchased by Google. For sure my ten years old son would love to get a PineTime for himself. He became a recent Linux convert after I erased MacOS from his MacMini and replaced it with Ubuntu :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you’re right, I have a six year old Sony Vaio laptop but there’s a power issue so I can’t run it on battery for more than about half an hour (it’s not the battery that’s the problem). So that was just enough to justify getting the PBP for out and about.

I don’t really need a smart watch either but for the price and novelty I’m willing to give it a go, it might work out more useful than I expected.

I didn’t think I’d need a new phone but the power button on mine is getting worse and worse so it’s like everything is failing on time to justify me buying up all these goodies :smiley:

1 Like

What I like about these old laptops is that you can easily customize them. To change a battery takes seconds, you just need a screwdriver to remove the drive, swapping RAM is equally easy. Comparing my old Asus with my work computer - brand new Lenovo on Win10, provided by my employer - I can see that the battery in Lenovo is an integral part of the machine and not designed to be removed. I bet if I opened it all parts would be glued to the motherboard and total pain in the ass to be removed. I hate what laptops manufacturers do now. They follow what phone makers started - creating devices designed not to be opened, not to be upgraded by their owners; they just want to force us to buy new devices. Still, my Asus is as fast or even faster than Lenovo so why change it?
I can tell you this: when the day comes that I need to purchase a new laptop I will only look for a machine designed to run Linux and only for a machine designed to be open and upgraded by the users. I bet PineBook Pro will be one of the strongest contenders to become my next laptop. Long live Pine 64! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hear you. Same here. I use ancient ‘hardware’ that flies with 16 GB of RAM and an older i5. For my needs it is sufficient. I can upgrade everything inside this Dell laptop and I already did and there are still things I can do.

There are still good options if you want shiny and new but most of the consumer laptops are crap.

4 Likes

Shame to hear that about Lenovos, I’m probably going to get a ThinkPad for work soon, not that I’d be upgrading that myself.

The great thing about the pinebook I’m hoping is that in the future a new rock64 might fit it and give a whole new laptop virtually without wasting what still works

1 Like

I’m hoping that Nebula matures, and maybe a snap package gets published for it. Then I’d like to do some testing of it. I’m not quite happy with Zerotier, as I’m not totally trusting them to run the relays, when direct firewall-punching won’t work.