How do I expand my sda1 partition

I installed ubuntu studio a few weeks back on a small 32 gig sata ssd. It has been a good distro so far, I’ve ran gnome and kde desktops before so xfce is a little different. I was trying to download a 500 meg file and it kept failing. I did a df -h and now I see why. How do I shrink the tmpfs partitions and expand the sda1 partition. Below is my df output.

noneyer:~$ df -h
Filesystem                         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                               5.9G     0  5.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs                              1.2G  1.6M  1.2G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/vgubuntu--studio-root   26G   25G  454M  99% /
tmpfs                              5.9G  109M  5.8G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs                              5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs                              5.9G     0  5.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1                          704M  193M  461M  30% /boot
tmpfs                              1.2G   20K  1.2G   1% /run/user/1000

I’ve tried the gnome-disk-utility but I can’t expand sda1 and the other partitions don’t show up. I don’t remember the partition setting I selected during install.

Thanks for any help.
M@

Edit: after more reflection, I see it is using LVM, which I don’t quite understand. It seems to need a magical incantation of expand or resize of something. Oh great Linux wizards please teach me thy tongue or point me to some good documentation.

I thought LVM was supposed to make resizing partitions easier.

You have info for a bunch of filesystems that aren’t actually disk partitions (in RAM or the like.) Please post the output of

df -h /

Please post the info for the command lsblk.

I fixed it now. LVM looks really neat and one day I may try to play around with it. After an hour or so of reading and trying some tutorials. I took the 20 minute easy road and just reinstalled everything without the LVM.

1 Like

I avoid the use of LVM myself. It’s never really been worth my while to learn, to gain some tangible, time-saving benefit making that learning curve a worthwhile investment of time.

Learning curve? It’s really not that hard. Chris Titus has a concise cheatsheet with a helpful diagram. I’ve found myself using Btrfs instead more and more, but LVM is still a great tool.

2 Likes

Those are the “magical incantation” I needed. :sparkler:
I found some of those commands, but this lays it out simply. I’ll give it a spin on a spare system and play with it.
Thanks!

1 Like

Well, had the likes of Chris Titus not come along and made that great cheetsheet, then it would be too tough a slog for me. Now that I’ve invested the time learning BTRFS (and snapper, when on a server, and Timeshift, when in Linux Mint), I’ll probably just go with BTRFS unless there is some really compelling features (as in, some “quantum leap” in functionality) in another filesystem (and its management tools) making it worth my while to invest yet more time learning yet more management tools.

1 Like

Snapper is awesome. Even with Btrfs, though, LVM is still useful if you want, say, a fully encrypted disk with a Btrfs root, XFS home, and a swap partition. It’s much easier than setting up a LUKS daisychain, especially where swap is concerned.

1 Like