From the Ashes | Linux Out Loud 49

This week, Linux Out Loud chats about open-source projects rising from the ashes.

Welcome to episode 49 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:25 2K Webcam
00:06:20 State Prep
00:13:60 LXDE on TheC64
00:21:54 From the Ashes
00:40:19 Game of the Week
00:45:36 3D Printer Upgrades
00:56:20 SteamDeck Screen
00:59:39 Close

Upcoming Event

• Linux Out Loud Live
    2023-02-18T15:00:00Z

Matt

Wendy

Our sponsor:

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattTDN)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

2 Likes

Hey LOL Crew,

Just wanted to say “Welcome to the Klipper family!!” I love Klipper and the ability to change my configuration at will and not have to recompile everything. This was the main problem I had with my original Ender 3. I got my new silent board, loaded it with the firmware, then dropped in place. But then, when I learned it could do some advanced tuning tweaks, I started tinkering. However, each change required recompiling and flashing the firmware. And if your values were off, time to recompile/flash again. It was such a PITA.

Working with Klipper and Mainsail has been a breath of fresh air compared to that nightmare. Need to change a value? Open the config file, change it, save, and restart the Klipper Service. Done and Done. It’s amazing and Nate should definitely flash his machine with Klipper. A preview of my Mainsail home page on my Laptop:

2 Likes

Love it, love it, love it!

I’m still having some issues with my printer, but I’m so glad that I’m using Klipper and not Marlin.

What issues are you still having with your printer? I thought you were back to functioning with modifying the retraction settings for a direct drive system.

I was working and now I’m back at prints not finishing. I went back to the bowden system, totally took apart the hot end and cleaned it, put a new nozzel on it… I have no idea what the issue is. It prints for a little bit, then stops because the filament has swelled. I don’t think it is a retraction issue. The hot-end fan is on and running at 100%. I must have a setting wrong somewhere, I just don’t know what.

I understand the frustration. I have been printing Paramount Black ABS without any problems for the last couple weeks. I switch over to KVP Red to print some accent pieces, and I can’t seem to get the prints to stick to the bed. I have ABL calibrated properly. I am trying to print some Extrusion Multiplier Test Cubes, Temperature towers, etc etc to try and dial things in for this filament. But everything ends with the print popping off around layer 5-10. I’m starting to get really annoyed with this filament. I thought maybe I bumped something out of alignment when changing the filament, but switched back to the Paramount Black and no issues. It’s just this KVP filament giving me so many problems.

1 Like

3D printing is an adventure for sure! I hope to have time today to work on it. The rest of the week is going to be downright crazy sauce.