Flash is dead, what else would you EOL if you could? What are your top N computer technologies that you wish would just die already?

IPv6 > Like upgrading the 4cy engine to a 16cy engine… While it’s running and in active use. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I’m not a diehard on this one, I just really wish it had been invertible.

Steps for inserting a flash drive:

1. Attempt to plug it in. It will not fit.
  2. Turn it 180°. It still won’t fit.
  3. Turn it another 180°. Now it fits.
1 Like

2 Likes

This is SO true!!!

I never have this trouble with audio jacks, I’ve noticed… Perhaps that is why the industry is seeking to obsolete them?!?

1 Like

Look, we’re not all that hard done by, by those pesky USB jacks. When my mother was born, the place she lived didn’t even have electricity wired to the houses yet. Let alone computers. So I’m grateful for all these toys, which would make our ancestors very jealous.

Maybe put a dot of whiteout on the “top” of the jack, to remind yourself which way is up? And put the whiteout dot by the “tops” of the female sides of the jacks as well.

2 Likes

Noooooooooooooo. Why?! I love my S/PDIF jacks.

I want bluetooth to go away and leave us alone though.

1 Like

1. Python
And force everybody working on it to work on Ruby, so we can have a good language + good libraries instead of a crappy language + good libraries and a good language + crappy libraries.

2. Docker and Kubernetes
So I don’t have to hear their names or anything related to them while listening to various podcasts.

3. Aggresive adds in podcasts
If authors of Firefox/GIMP/Geany/[any other free software] would say “you can have our programs for free, but, unless you’re supporting us on Patreon, we will display videos about our sponsors every 15 min.” then we all know what the reaction would be. No one likes adds on websites or YouTube, so why do we have to quietly accept them in podcasts? Make a section on your website with an info about sponsors or talk about them at the beginning or end of your show.

4. Arch
Not good for servers, disastrous for desktop… It’s a terrible choice for everything, so…

How could I have forgotten Bluetooth? It needs to die.

3 Likes

Bitcoin, actually all Crypto currency. The thought of cities worth of power being used exclusively, to line the pockets of the greedy turns my stomach. Especially when the rest of us are trying to save power every way we can as it is the right thing to do.

1 Like

The traditional mechanism for cryptocurrency transfers is Proof-of-Work which is what uses up all that energy.

Many currencies are transitioning to Proof-of-Stake which doesn’t use energy, it just locks up a portion of what you own for a limited period of time.

In both cases it boils down to financial punishment, Proof-of-Stake just skips the part where you have to buy and power a crypto mining machine and just freezes your money instead.

There’s also what broad adoption is shaping up to be which looks like VISA cards belonging to specific exchanges that let you pull directly from your account. That means zero fees, instant sending and there’s no blockchain transaction, just an adjustment in the exchange’s database which means no Proof-of-Work energy cost.

As for waste… if someone tallies the CO2 produced by every bank truck, construction/maintenance/running of every bank office & customer location, construction/delivery/refill/maintenance of every ATM, the construction/maintenance/running of every stock exchange, the printing/distribution of replacement physical currency and so on… it’s similarly pretty breath taking.

I’m not saying massive energy spent on Proof-of-Work isn’t a problem, just it’s worth comparing and Proof-of-Stake should solve it.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot, if crypto goes green that’s great. I’d still like to see the end of crypto though. I think making money without earning it is a bit like skipping to the last scene of the movie so as to save time. If I could take money out of the equation and just have anything there would be nothing to live for no reason to do anything.

1 Like

If I had my way, I’d bring Flash back. It was a pain to get working some 16 years ago in Linux but once Flash was installed and tweaked properly, I loved the animations and interactive nature Flash provided. It was amazing what they were able to do with very little memory and bandwidth. I am not sure that there is any modern technology that does all this as nicely. I am thinking, specifically, about Homestarrunner.com. It was my pre-YouTube internet entertainment.

Although… I just came across this Flash emulator technology built on Rust which I do think is pretty cool. So… I guess I sort of retract a portion of my previous statement.

If I remember correctly, at least on my machines, Flash used hardware acceleration by default.