End of Linux Rope

I have considered this. It was one of the reasons I tried LMDE.

Thanks Michael. It could partly be the kernel. The more recent distros Kubuntu 19.10 and Pop!_OS 20.04 stilll boot but they do have problems with locking up.

I for one, have never tried a Corsair mobo, but I will say this: I never stray from Asus mobos, if I can at-all help it, as I’ve been bitten by all-too-cheap mobos in the past. It’s conceivable that that particular mobo is a defective, flaky mobo?

I would sooner buy a used Asus mobo, than a new, non-Asus mobo.

Random total hardware freezes (and you didn’t do anything really to deserve it, as you were not using anything wild and crazy, in the way of software or drivers) are a classic symptom of a flaky mobo.

1 Like

It is a Asus motherboard. It’s a ROG Crosshair VI Hero motherboard. For whatever reason my brain was going onto the next component (memory) when I typed out the motherboard.

1 Like

Michael, what are a couple of your favorite mobo for the Ryzen chips that works well with Linux.?Specifically looking for the larger ATX boards.

Hi Harold
I have an older (cheaper) Asus ATX mobo:- TUF_B450M-PLUS_GAMING
It even works well with the newer Ryzen 3600.
I run Manjaro booting from a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe
It’s been doing this without a hitch, since June 2019, using the same hardware but only running Manjaro Plasma in single boot mode.

1 Like

I’m not really a hardware guy but I use MSI mobo for my Ryzen setup

1 Like

I did a NAS build about 1.5 years ago with that exact mobo. Thumbs up!! Absolutely no issues.

1 Like