Dump bin for links related to Snaps and Flatpaks that'd be useful for a user making a choice

Documentation, feature summaries, videos, podcasts, opinion pieces, ect are all welcome.

Information within these will be compiled into future thread(s).

Please inline, space indent or code block links to prevent them from previewing as there’ll be many many previews. If you’re confused on how to do this just post and i’ll edit the formatting if needed.

1 Like

Getting started
Getting Started — Flatpak documentation
Quickstart guide | Snapcraft documentation

App Search
Install Linux apps using the Snap Store | Snapcraft
https://flathub.org/

Video
Snaps, Flatpaks and AppImages Do Very Different Things! (Each Has Its Purpose)
Do Ubuntu’s Snap Deserve So Much Negativity?
Linux Packaging Formats explained: Flatpak vs Snaps vs DEB & RPM vs AppImage vs AUR
Keep Your Snaps and Flatpaks, I’ll Take AppImages!

3 Likes

Will news pertaining to support and vulnerabilities be accepted here?

1 Like

Definitely, sky’s the limit and thank you.

1 Like

I wanted to touch this topic pertaining to AppImage and the issues with libfuse , Users have been experiencing issues with Ubuntu and possibly Fedora. Apparently this issue has been brewing for a couple years and now looks to have peaked.

The issue was covered by Content Creator Brodie Robertson as well :

I’ve never used AppImages but the more I dig into the leadership and scope of the project, I think I will continue to stay away. This is solely my opinion and do not post to be divisive. If anyone has perspective on this i’d be glad to hear it.

1 Like

Mark Shuttleworth on Snaps: Interview with Mark Shuttleworth of Canonical & Ubuntu | Destination Linux 322 - YouTube

This guide was very useful for me to build my own flatpak. What some people might not know is that you can turn pretty much any application into a flatpak if you want to. If you can build an application from source, it will easier to understand how to build a manifest.

https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/first-build.html

2 Likes