DLN Xtend - Episode 10

DLN Xtend - Episode 10

In this edition, Nate talks about setting up quick tiling on KDE’s Plasma desktop environment and also using Linux in the kitchen for recipes and entertainment.

This week’s Community Focus covers a Discourse forum post entitled Giving Back to OUR Community which discusses donating to open source projects as well as content creators. We cover commercial use of open source and how if companies that benefit financially would contribute back to the projects they use those projects would likely make enough revenue to cover their costs and then some. Mentioned in this discussion is the recent dilemma that the Pods Framework find themselves after their main financial contributor chose to not continue their support.

DasGeek’s YouTube Channel reaches a milestone and passes 10,000 subscribers. Ryan does a great job reviewing hardware but, more importantly, following up and making more videos about the same hardware over time so you can find out what it’s like to use it over time. That’s often not the case with many YouTube tech channels.

Destination Linux provided an update on the FreeGeek fund raising effort. The goal was $3,000 and, thanks to Zeb’s 24 stream, we are well on our way. He raised over $1,500 so again, congratulations to him and the entire Destination Linux Network community for such generosity.

Destination Linux covered the release of Kdenlive 19.12. Nate has been using it to edit his videos and gives feedback.

And finally, darktable version 3.0.0 has been released. darktable is an open source photography workflow application. We are not photographers so we wanted to get a power user’s take. Luckily, friend of DLN Wendy Hill (@TheWendyPower) was available. Wendy has appeared as a guest host on Destination Linux and is a professional photographer specializing in business-to-business photography including food, product, and location image creation. She uses Linux for her business and darktable is one of the tools she uses for her images. We discuss what darktable is, how she uses it and what’s interesting about this latest release.

That’s all for this week. Be sure to stop by DLN’s Discourse, Telegram, Mumble and Discord servers to continue the discussion. More information about this show and other Destination Linux Network shows and creators (like Eric and Nate for example) is available at destinationlinux.network.

Until next time, see yas!

6 Likes

Thanks @EricAdams, @CubicleNate and @TheWendyPower! I fully agree with Eric’s points about making financial contributions back to developers if able. Besides the quality and freedom of open-source, and my interest in coding, I have found open-source to be an absolute lifeline during times of financial hardship - to be able to keep going with hardware that’s a decade or more old without having the burden of individual licences for all my old machines. There are definitely projects I look forward to contributing to financially when I am able. Besides that there are some I’d like to be able to submit code for. It’s my main motivation for building LFS to move onto BLFS which I will say more about in another thread :slight_smile:

Wendy’s description of darktable sounds pretty awesome. I’ve played around with GNU Image Manipulation Program for everyday snaps from time to time and it’s good to know professionals also have a tool in the form of darktable for their advanced use-cases.

1 Like