Destination Linux 179: Ask Us Anything + Why Linux Gaming Should Matter to Everyone

Originally published at: Destination Linux 179: Ask Us Anything + Why Linux Gaming Should Matter to Everyone - Destination Linux

6 Likes

Ryan: “What is knew in your world this week? Please say it’s not new obs sceens because nobody cares.”

Michael: “I do that anyway, but that’s not what we’re going to talk about. We’re going to talk about Next Cloud.”

::slick obs transition::

2 Likes

I just listened to DL podcast 179. The game System Shock Reboot is mentioned, supposedly meaning that it has been played on Linux. I have scoured the Internet and found only a scant alpha-state website and an alpha version on Steam. I got the Steam version but it was unplayable on Proton. On the show it sounded like this was something that was available to all. I don’t see where this was found or how it could have been played. The show notes don’t even mention it. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Steve

It appears to have been funded, there’s a demo on Steam (maybe elsewhere) but it’s still in the build phase.

They’re not updating their Kickstarter anymore (last update was 07.27.16) but they’re doing updates on their Steam page, last one was February (last link). Seems like a wait-n-see situation for now.

Mention on DL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY2C4woiwrQ&t=4305s
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock
Site: https://systemshock.com/
Preorder: https://system-shock.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
Steam: Save 35% on System Shock on Steam
Steam, update (Feb 7, 2020): System Shock - February Kickstarter Update - Steam News

1 Like

lol yea it was weird he said that because the OBS stuff I did this episode was pretty awesome :smiley: in my opinion

We were saying that it was coming to Linux. @Ulfnic provided the links. (thanks for that @Ulfnic)

1 Like

I know it’s a good natured ribbing, the timing was just hilarious, it’s like you owned him with an OBS transition especially being the first one in the video. Super meta.

1 Like

Haven’t watched this one yet, but you guys should do a show in the future with Gardner the Linux Gamer to talk about gaming on Linux.

This was a really fun episode. Now I’m curious about which artists you like, @MichaelTunnell since you like dubstep, metal, and opera.

2 Likes

@dasgeek - Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for finally giving me a good reason to respect gaming on linux. Good, sound logic and a very compelling argument. While I may never personally drift much farther beyond solitaire, I can appreciate, and benefit, from the innovation and advancements that come from gaming development on Linux. Your point in comparison to the mac game-space was well made.

I was one of those people who only listened to the gaming news just to hear @zebedee.boss reaction to whatever humiliating title you exposed his poor patience to. In the future, I shall listen with renewed interest.

Great Episode. I hope you guys can pull off another one like this again in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone - loved the variety and humour in this episode :slight_smile:

I think self-hosting definitely sounds like the way to go for privacy purposes, but surely we need to know a fair bit about systems admin to make it secure, or does NextCloud handle that relatively effortlessly, I wonder, if running on bare metal? I wonder if the system would support RAID in case of drive failure?

I understand some of the benefits of rolling releases, but my priority is for a system to remain functioning rather than for it to be the latest versions. Unfortunately Windows 10 could also be called a rolling release, perhaps, and one of my main reasons for hating it is that I constantly fear it will break - or some subsystem will break, as it often has done when I’ve had to use it… For people who use rolling releases such as @dasgeek, I wonder what your advice is on how much systems admin knowledge the user should have before making it their main system?

On IDEs, I used Visual Studio back in the mid 90s writing C++ code with MFC version 1 and for VB 4, if I remember correctly. It’s nice, but there was almost zero internet in those days and no “spying”. These days I’d use it under Windows if I had to code in VB, C# or Visual C++ but not for anything else, though it saddens me that some projects such as LibreOffice and Firefox are built using Microsoft tools on Windows, as far as I recall. I’d be happier if they cross-compiled under Linux using standard GNU tool-chains. I have no interest in Microsoft’s cut-down open source Linux version. I think for every programming language I’ve learned (and that is a fair few) the advice tends to be to start with a basic editor and use build tools from the command line first, to get a good grasp of the nuts and bolts of the process; then use an IDE for convenience and speed for large projects; unless of course the IDE is an integral part of the language and its libraries, which for the GUI side of VB, for example, it could be. I am glad you are using PyCharm instead, Ryan. For Java my preferred IDE is NetBeans, or even Eclipse for SWT. IntelliJ is newer and is good but my experience with it on AndroidStudio was soured by Google updating the system every few days and my being tempted to update because every single iteration of the “stable” release, I found had one bug or another that I thought the update would fix. This is a far cry from the days when everyone used the current-minus-one version of, say VB, because everyone knew the latest version would have bugs that hadn’t been ironed-out until patches were available… I think software developers, at least, need a reliable, fixed base, for at least months at a time.

I agree with @MichaelTunnell in thinking RedHat have been in a prime position to really make a go of Linux Desktop, though their priority has been server. I also agree with Noah that their contribution to Gnome is very significant; and I love Gnome’s simplicity for my everyday work though I acknowledge Plasma is stronger for power-users.