Destination Linux 178: Everyone Should Use Ubuntu Studio and This Is Why

Originally published at: Destination Linux 178: Everyone Should Use Ubuntu Studio and This Is Why - Destination Linux

Coming up on this week’s episode of Destination Linux, we’re covering community feedback, why we think everyone should be using Ubuntu Studio, KDE Plasma 5.19 was released, Pine64 announced the Pre-Orders for the Pinetab, we’re also going to cover some Linux Gaming plus our Tips & Tricks! All of this and so much more this…

3 Likes

Thank you for the solid recommendation for users to try Ubuntu Studio. I left the creative framework of Adobe Creative Suite on the Windows platform to find an OS that would run more efficiently on older hardware. I found Ubuntu Studio and started with 16.04. After getting a few drivers setup on 16.04, I was able to have a solid and stable environment for a daily driver and creative suite. 18.04 was a very satisfying experience for me and the starting point where I began getting family and friends to use Ubuntu Studio and walk away from Windo$e. I recently switched to 20.04 and love the smoothness of the install and the transparent hardware integration in the setup. I really like the briskness and feel of XFCE. This is an all around great distro. For the past 3 years I have listened to hundreds of podcasts related to Linux – I always wondered why more podcasters, reviewers, and users in general didn’t tout Ubuntu Studio. Thank you for giving it the props it deserves.

3 Likes

Based on the recommendation I installed Ubuntu Studio. I needed something in a VM to produce some relative simple videos and to maintain and improve the quality of my music collection (~10,000 tracks), the majority I copied around 2004 from my LPs and CDs. Unfortunately over time I used different formats, wma variable bit speed to store many tracks on a portable player with a mini HDD, mp3 and mp4 after I dumped Windows for Linux.
Of course I had to delete Blender, the VM did not meet its HW requirements. I also added soundKonverter and Ex Falso to convert audio format and to complete the tags. Both support batch processing and soundKonverter divides the work over all CPUs!
So far so good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! I think a Studio package that works across distros would be very useful indeed, though I don’t think I’d see it any time soon on Debian unless it’s a flatpak :slight_smile:

I’m not much of a gamer though I do remember the fun to be had in dual-player games from back when I had my Commodore 64 and Amiga; “Way of the Exploding Fist” and “Tanks” spring to mind!