Destination Linux 159: Emma Marshall, Linux 5.5, Solus, Open eBook Reader, Anbox Cloud, & More

3 Likes

during the Podcast Noah addressed how to “securely access a machine remotely”

But I don’t see where they instructions are linked in the show notes…

1 Like

You mean about 24 minutes into the episode?
His preferred solution is to use a VPN.
There’s a few out there.
See episode 155 of Ask Noah Show.

Or his wireguard tutorial

1 Like

Or do what I did two years ago and use this

It’s been stable and easy to use and setup on Ubuntu.
Just needed to punch a hole in my firewall and scp the the VPN profiles to my client machines. Make sure to put a passphrase on your profiles.
Apparently it now even includes wireguard!

you are correct. I forgot to add the links. I have fixed that in the shownotes.

in fact, the links that @blockhead provided are correct so thanks for that :smiley:

1 Like

Back in December, I mentioned some tips and pointers on how to hide an SSH server’s world-accessible port inside a Wireguard tunnel (so that without an established Wireguard tunnel, the SSH server can’t be remotely accessed):

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that again @esbeeb.
Your post prompted me to finally try out wireguard.
I’m still having some issues but the main limiting factor is time:)

To be clear though, you still have to expose the wireguard port (UDP 51820 by default) to the Internet, right?

Right, wireguard port exposed.

Thanks everyone - very entertaining, as usual :slight_smile: I think with Canonical’s move, I’m also very interested in what upstream support that could bring to AnBox. Although it might not be a priority, I do think that being able to tap into the vast number of already developed Android apps could tip the balance in favour of any alternative. I think even Google are aiming for that (first in ChromeOS and now presumably their new OS which they’re building will also run Android apps). Technically it must be possible as a few years ago I was amazed at how suprisingly effectively LeapDroid emulated Android on Windows; including for games and apps like Amazon Kindle. I can’t remember if there was a version for Linux or not, but the work that went into it shows that a high degree of compatibility is possible. I guess if full virtualisation isn’t necessary for AnBox then potentially it could run faster. I do hope the project continues. As for conversations about the desktop and monetising, I think a point that it’s possible to return to over and over is lack of funds available for open source developers. There was an excellent discussion on a DLNXtend podcast about users donating to project if able to!

1 Like