Desktop of choice?

I just switched back to KDE Plasma (on Kubuntu) after trying out Gnome and Cinnamon for a while. I don’t think I’ll switch away from Plasma again any time soon.

2 Likes

Thank you, and all the little gardem Gah-nomes I’m sure thank you too.

Still Plasma here, or XFCE when Plasma decides to play silly buggers, which it does for me on the 5.5 Kernel. Hence my sticking with the 5.4 series for the time being.

Ever since I switched to i3, I have realized how much stacking window managers bother me. Every time I try a new distro that doesn’t have i3 as an install option, I just nuke, repave and renistall Manjaro i3. Thank Redhat for Ansible.

2 Likes

I switched from Budgie to KDE Plasma about a year ago after tying most others too. Plasma is the only one that allows me to make it exactly the way I want it and just looks beautiful. The fact that it is low resource these days is a nice bonus, although all my rigs have 8GB+ of memory and a fairly recent CPU. My main workstation is a Ryzen 7 with Vega 64 and 27" 4K monitor and KDE works great from a scaling perspective, it just has it all <3

4 Likes

I am using GNOME as my home / work DEs (for the past 10+ years), I wanted to switch my home PC to KDE (had issues with my GPU and dual monitor setup), tablet is on KDE Plasma. ARM IoT Devices like Rasberry Pi and Rock Pi are on KDE Plasma (have used i3 / sway on ARM in the past).

Regards, Alex

I REALLLY REAALLLY want to NOT like Plasma. Its skinny thin flat icons & widgets and overwhelming options drive me crazy… but they pull it off with such class and finesse that I can’t help it. It’s hard to ignore, especially when they keep coming up with cool features. How do you NOT like the way they can theme GTK & QT apps so seamlessly?!?

Currently, Pop’s Gnome has been ruling the laptop and I’m enjoying learning it’s ins and outs. But, honestly, MATE will probably always be my go-to.

I use KDE plasma but in an odd way. I rip out Kwon from Plasma and use i3wm with plamsa. I like the tiling of i3 with plasma much better than the Kwin tiling scripts

I’ve been running KDE Plasma after all of the brain-washing from Michael, Noah, and Ryan week after week. I woke up one day and it just popped in my head, “Must…run…KDE Plasma!” LOL! :grinning: Anyway…that was about 6 months ago and I’m still using it. I still love XFCE, but I can’t get over how much KDE continues to be stable, light on resources, and beautiful. I definitely drank the KDE Kool-Aid and don’t plan on switching anytime soon. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve become accustomed to default Gnome in Fedora (and to a lesser extent Ubuntu). It has its annoying parts but I know how to do what I want with it. I like the “clean” look everything has, even if it sacrifices customizing things as much as KDE.

2 Likes

I believe last time I used ubuntu before switching to Mint and Cinnamon, ubuntu had unity, unity is very different from GNOME, I have used GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 since 2010, GNOME Is not unity.
Yeah I am kinda the same use RedHatEntL/CentOS/Fedora at work so GNOME is my core DE I even used it on Arch Manjaro, tried KDE to complicated to make it run on dual monitor and nvidia, but I do have to admit the ARM Manjaro version Plasma KDE really impressed me still using it on my tablet.

Regards, Alex

Erik over at ArcoLinux announced that they are putting together a Sway ISO. I am keeping an eye in that!

3 Likes

I like Plasma, but I’m a sucker for Cinnamon. Linux Mint Cinnamon to be exact!

Gnome user here. I like the minimalism of Gnome and how it’s designed differently. It just works and gets out of the way of doing my tasks. I want to like Plasma but it feels cluttered. I dislike Plasma’s defaults on most distros while Fedora’s Gnome defaults are close to perfect for me.

Personally, I see Plasma and Gnome as the choices for now because they’re the only major environments that have proper wayland support so far.

I have started using tiling window managers such as awesimewm, these days.

1 Like

I have no one preferred desktop. I like Gnome as Host for my VMs. How it supports, the work-spaces for full-screen VMs is great. I love XFCE, because it is the fastest and most efficient desktop for my office tasks. Its Xubuntu VM boots in ~7 seconds, while the Gnome VM needs ~13 seconds. I still use Unity with Ubuntu 16.04 VM for banking for another half year and afterwards I will miss it :slight_smile: I like Mate too.

As an Xfce user I would agree on Plasma and Gnome but not because of Wayland but because they feel the most polished or in other words, feature complete. Though I would choose Plasma over Gnome. I also feel that it still is cluttered for my taste but as a DE it feels more natural and lightweight to use.

2 Likes
  1. XFCE (Reliable, feature rich easy to customize, lightweight)
  2. Gnome (tiling mode in Pop!_OS set to on)
  3. i3
  4. LXDE (Reliable Classic)
  5. LXQt (not as stable as LXDE yet but getting better fast)
  6. Plasma (haven’t tried it recently)

My desktop choice is based on my mood rather than any practical reason because they’re all fantastic for different reasons and often that’s dependent on what I’m doing at that particular moment.

1 Like

In response to my post on this thread earlier this year… I’m still on KDE Plasma, and I’m most definitely sticking to it. I may still distro hop, but my several years of desktop hopping are over. :grinning:

I feel like I spent a lot of time trying to like Gnome, because that’s what seems to be the “standard” DE, if there is such a thing, but it just doesn’t fit the way I want to use my computer no matter how I customise it.

3 Likes

Pantheon is my #1, followed closely by GNOME! Both vanilla, no tweaks or extensions of any sort.

2 Likes