Chromium Issues

Four or five days ago, Chromium started crashing. Nothing would load including my extensions. The installation from directly from the Endeavor Discover app. Fortunately I re-installed it as a Flatpak and everything works again. This is one benefit of having multiple ways of installing applications.

Has anyone else had issues with Chromium lately?

Quickie check on Fedora 33 and Debian Sid both right after prompting an update, all clear on Chromium

1 Like

I tried to install a recent version of Chromium in Debian and found that I can install Mint’s version for Debian as a deb. It runs fine but I had one crash that trashed the whole system, not sure why but then I updated to a newer build and since then everything is OK.

And you should definitely not use the version of Chromium from the Debian repos. It is hopelessly outdated and the project itself recommends another browser. It already removed it from testing.

2 Likes

Quick confirmation:

Debian Sid:
Version 83.0.4103.116 (Developer Build) built on Debian bullseye/sid

Fedora 33:
Version 87.0.4280.88 (Developer Build) Fedora Project (64-bit)

I’d love to hear someone with Mint chime in with a version but what I got from TWinL is Mint’s new build server for Chromium is automated so it pops out the latest as soon as it comes in. It’s also available on the Debian Mint edition so there’s probably some repo command magic to get the Mint version just for that package.

apt policy chromium
chromium:
  Installed:           87.0.4280.88~linuxmint1+debbie
  Installation candidate: 87.0.4280.88~linuxmint1+debbie
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 87.0.4280.88~linuxmint1+debbie 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u3 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main amd64 Packages

That is what I have here, a direct install with dpkg under Debian Buster.

There is the repo of Mint for LMDE but it would pull too much packages that are newer than in Debian proper. I guess there would not be a real problem but in the future you might have them if you try to upgrade to the next release of Debian.

You can go with snap or flatpak but with all their problems. The theming is off (if you are not using Gnome) and Chromium starts awfully slow, especially the snap package. But they work.

2 Likes