Bye-bye Firefox

Thanks for the list of add-on extensions. I was not familiar with JavaScript Restrictor, but I am now !!!

@astronautsupplier uBlock Origin is awesome, but it does not do everything.

It does not block finger-printing, the reading of cookies from other sites, etc.

2 Likes

BTW, do you make use of the Firefox Container Tabs? I think it is buil-in to Firefox and you donā€™t need any addon. There is one Multi-Account Containers, but as said, it is not needed. Each Container is better sealed off against any tab outside of this Container. You can have one for shopping in example and one for social networks; these would have no knowledge about the tabs and cookies you have allowed on your letā€™s say DLN forum. You can setup specific domains to automatically and always open up in a specific Container.

1 Like

Mini rantā€¦

My problem with them is bowser extensions are shared across all container tabs so things like Dark Reader is getting access to your banking.

Theyā€™re also (at least for me) tremendously easy to mess up because if you click an external link inside a container itā€™ll open it in that container which isnā€™t always what you want and can break your privacy if the link has identify information. Iā€™ve also found occasionally iā€™ll just forget which container iā€™m in if iā€™m following external links even if thereā€™s a big color difference because all the tabs are mushed together.

I started using profiles instead, you just switch the Firefox link for

firefox --ProfileManager

and you get a GUI thatā€™ll let you launch browsers with different profiles. That means my banking has no extensions and I can apply extensions to the types of browsing iā€™m doing. Iā€™ve also found it much harder to make mistakes because the whole browser can be colored to the activity and they tend to only have 1 or 2 tabs open instead of a tab circus of different containers.

1 Like

I do to some extent. For example, sites that I frequent have a container, but I also, like many others, visit a lot of sites directly from searches.

If the containers functionality only had a setting to automatically create a random container for each link visited or even opened in a new tabā€¦Creating a new container for every site visited is a bit tedious. Containers is the right idea, it is just needs to be expanded upon.

I know the ProfileManager and thought about using it for really sensitive tasks. I am also a heavy user of the Private mode of Firefox, which I exclude most addons for your said reasons. You can restrict each single addon being accessed from Private Window.

if you click an external link inside a container itā€™ll open it in that container which isnā€™t always what you want and can break your privacy if the link has identify information.

I guess thatā€™s where the additional Multi-Account Containers from Mozilla (at least its not third party developer) comes into play. It lets you automatically open pages in specific container. It would not open external links in that container (at least for new tabs, not sure about inline opening). With the default behavior of Multi-Account Containers, a new tab opens outside of the container.

@Mr_McBride

If the containers functionality only had a setting to automatically create a random container for each link visited or even opened in a new tab

I saw somewhere such a functionality. It is the addon Temporary Containers, but never used it. I know we donā€™t want install more addons from third party, but these seem to be very useful.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that. I was not aware of that extension.

Firefox has never been perfect but it still is worth well compared in competition. I would give it still a chance with extensions recommended above.

Oh, donā€™t get me wrong. I no longer use Firefox, but what I do use is a fork of Firefox. For me, I am currently using FireDragon (from Garuda Linux) and I am using the Duckduckgo browser on my phone. Both browsers are security focused forks from Firefox.

Thatā€™s one point that has tickled me bad these days.

Glad iā€™m not the only one thinking this way.

1 Like

Look at the developers list for BTRFS. Btrfs - Wikipedia

Mozilla takes a lot of heat because they are so open. Sunlight is the best antiseptic after all. But most other companies would do this behind your back and we would never complain because we would never know.

People expect Mozilla to be corrupted by Meta but we could equally expect Mozilla to help point Meta down a better path.

Would love to know if youā€™re switching your mobile browser now that DDG is censoring. Iā€™m looking for alternatives.

1 Like

Browsers can apparently tell what GPU you are using. As far down to serial numbers and other obscure info through OpenGL etc. Iā€™ll link a couple articles I found on it. Also covered by Level1Techs team.

1 Like

@Ulfnic If I turn Firefoxā€™s titlebar off doesnā€™t it need to know the size of the window decoration to accommodate for it? This was an issue with the latest Linux Mint 20.3 beta where the new style window decorations caused an issue with Firefox. New theme is broken on Firefox with CSD Ā· Issue #5 Ā· linuxmint/mint20.3-beta Ā· GitHub

GPU serial numbers are overkill and disturbing. Iā€™ll be checking out what Level1 reports. Thanks for the tip.

Good question. Yes, I will be switching to something different than DDG on my phone. What? I donā€™t know just yet. More searching and learning what my options are.

I still feel that browsers are used against us. We really need more control over what javascript can and cannot do. I would love to see a javascript permission model. Although, itā€™s really sad that we need this.

Iā€™m afraid I havenā€™t used Firefox in some time so iā€™m not sure.

Iā€™m going to give the Brave browser with the Qwant search engine a go on my mobile phone.

I found a few options on F-Droid for browsers:
Privacy Browser: Privacy Browser Android ā€“ Stoutner
FOSS Browser: GitHub - scoute-dich/browser: A simple Android webbrowser based on webview.
Midori: Midori Browser, a fast and secure light web browser - Astian

1 Like

Running Brave/Qwant as of today, once all the settings are cleared up itā€™s one beautiful combo :slight_smile:

1 Like