Bios upgrade HP

I’m running HP Compaq Elite 8300 with I5 3750, wanting to check for Bios updates I’m a newbie with IT, went to Hp and was struggling with how to do upgrade any helps would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Still pretty much a beginner here myself. But from what I understand and if corrections are needed I hope someone will correct my ignorance, there is gui in POP!_OS for updating your firmware. So if you’re running POP!_OS you can go into your settings and do that there. If you’re not running POP!_OS there are a couple of options. One is for you to install POP!_OS on a thumb drive, then boot into that drive and install the firmware updates from there. The second option is to go into the terminal and run fwupd. System76, the creator and maintainer of POP!_OS has some info you can find at the link.

https://blog.system76.com/post/187072707563/the-new-firmware-manager-updating-firmware-across

1 Like

looks very good I’m going to try PopOs install on my desktops again and see how this works.

I’m still a beginner. I strongly recommend you get some additional input unless you’ve researched the matter independently and are satisfied with what you’ve found. And before doing any big changes back up your data.

1 Like

This program looks like it might help, but thanks for letting me know your like me a beginner. I’ve found out that PopOs would not work for me because I was dual booter with two different OS flavors on same drive.

If you dual boot with Windows you can just update the firmware through Windows.

I’m done with windows!

1 Like

Problem is HP and Dell have EXE files which you run in Windows to update the BIOS. MS now hands out ISO of Windows, and does not require you to enter in a Product Key to install/use. You can now boot Windows from a flash drive. Do the update off that flash drive boot.

1 Like