Best MP3 Managing, Tagedit, etc Software

Hi,
I have my local music collection as mp3s on my NAS, sorted in Folders.
I now decided to clean up the metadata of my files… because… some of the have Artists in in, some not… some got album names, some not… you get it…

What application would you recommend to manage my mp3’s metadata, tags, especially batch-processing like…

kind regards
joe

kid3 has always been my go-to. It’s a KDE app, and should be in the repos for most distros.

Hey, thank you for this quick help. As I use Kubuntu a KDE-App sounds just perfect. I installed it and my first impression is super great.
Although using linux for more than 10 years, I never heard of kid3.

Thank you very very much
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

You “Beet” me to it. Was totally going to post this one! :slight_smile: Once you get the hang of it, it’s a killer program.

1 Like

I’ll second the recommendation for Kid3, it’s what I use. If you’re on a GTK based system you might try easyTAG.

I like Beets as a way to organize music files, but it’s abilities as an auto-tagger become fairly limited outside of popular music. This isn’t a problem with Beets, but just the limitations of the MusicBrainz database.

• About 70% of my Classical and Jazz collections were not available on MusicBrainz and had to be tagged manually.

• The MusicBrainz tagging system doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for Classical music. So, things that were tagged often had to be corrected. (Why MusicBrainz insists on listing classical composers as artists when there is a composer field is unclear to me.)

• Finally, MusicBrainz cannot translate names. This means that the names of Russian composers, for example, like Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky will show up in Cyrillic. Confusing to someone like myself who doesn’t speak Russian.

That said for a large part of my collection it worked great. Depends what you listen to.