ATM update anyone?

So, I hit this 7-11 out here and I go to use the ATM and I’m hit with a window on it saying: “Windows Update has Finished” and the rest of that useless text we’ve all seen before. Tried to use the ATM…totally borked. :joy::joy::joy:
AND it was the ONE time I didn’t bring a phone!!! I was so going to post a pic here for you guys!!
Doesn’t exactly make me feel comfortable using that ATM anymore… sigh

3 Likes

Some of those independent ATMs seem pretty low-tech to be honest. I often hesitate and wonder how secure they really are. And the fees. Sheesh.

2 Likes

I think that not only are some of them running Windows but a lot of them are XP so they are super easy targets.

3 Likes

This is also what happens when you use Windows:

The ship was equipped with a network of 27 dual 200 MHz Pentium Pro-based machines running Windows NT 4.0

On 21 September 1997, while on maneuvers off the coast of Cape Charles, Virginia a crew member entered a zero into a database field causing an attempted division by zero in the ship’s Remote Data Base Manager, resulting in a buffer overflow which brought down all the machines on the network, causing the ship’s propulsion system to fail

https://infogalactic.com/info/USS_Yorktown_(CG-48)

1 Like

smdh :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I suppose instead of an sos they sent out a nan

I know

Dad joke

1 Like

So both my wife and I used to work for different banks and it’s AMAZING how behind the curve on tech ATM’s are. The really big banks can afford to refresh the ATM’s but most of the ATM’s in the world (not just the country) are running XP.

If we see a new ATM with a skimmer protector on it, most likely it’s Win10 under the hood.

The reason? Cost. In order to upgrade the OS the entire ATM has to be replaced. No other options exist.

More like a Computer Science joke Not A Number

I think it is US banks which hold on to the ATMs forever. I was able to secure an ATM for free maybe 5 years ago now. I ended up throwing it away. It would not be able to accept the newer cards with the chips. I think I could of probably of updated it, but would not be cheap. I was running some old Windows Embedded from around 2000.

In Mexico they have quite advanced ATMs. You can make deposits or payment by just sticking the wad of cash into the slot. In the US, you have to stick it in an envelope and the bank will manually verify it.

You can also get cash out without a card, You use their banking smartphone app which generates a code which the ATM can scan, or you can manually enter it,

Not so any more. Put your money in and it shows you a pretty picture of the bills you deposit.

1 Like

You mean they are finally catching up?