Anti-Virus On Linux: Should You Use One? | Destination Linux 200

7 Likes

Happy 200 :fireworks: :sparkler: :firecracker::firecracker::firecracker: and many more!

1 Like

Thanks everyone - and congratulations on completing your 200th show :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

I particularly glad to be watching on Odysee now. It seems a little more stable than Lbry was though both still crash Firefox on Android on my Samsung tablet for some reason(!)

I quite miss Zeb @zebedee.boss and hopped onto his youtube channel, only to find he hasn’t posted for some months. Hope all’s well…! Good to see a new games show arriving, and yes it is kinda nice to hear an English accent on podcasts sometimes too :slight_smile:

I’m glad FlightGear got a mention. I opened a thread on this back in the early days of the DLN forum but found not too many takers then. I first played MS FS in approximately 1995 and found it fascinating that it had a model of the whole world one could fly in. MS basically stopped updating in about 2000 or so, and only recently brought out a new version. It’s the only product of their’s I’ve been remotely excited about, but more for nostalgia value than anything else. I’m sticking with my FlightGear. Unlike you, @jill_linuxgirl, I haven’t quite taken-off yet. I’m hardly ever on it, and am still learning to do pre-flight checks(!)

As someone who’s been wanting to break back into IT professionally, I do hope knowledge of Linux gains value in coming years. About the time when Linus was reading his book on Minix by Tanenbaum, I was doing exactly the same, though funds didn’t justify the cost of that tome at the time. Couple of years ago I finally bought and read it, including all the source code. Even more work than LFS! Now I’m really keen to learn as much as possible, inside out, just like I did poring through disassembled source-code for the C64 operating system and BASIC interpreter back in the 80s when I first got interested in coding. Still hacking away at JavaFX these days though :wink:

Looking forward to 201… even 2001 already, optimistically :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you soo much @ak2020! :tada: :joy::penguin:

And so happy that Odeysee is more stable!

And Zeb joined us in the aftershow! You can watch it in the uncut 200th episode on Patreon!!! It was so wonderful and an honor to visit with him and have him for our 200th episode!!! :heart_eyes::penguin::penguin::penguin:

So happy you are enjoying Flightgear!!

C64 :heart: always!

Jill

2 Likes

Thank you @lqlarry!! :heart_eyes::tada::joy::penguin::penguin::penguin:

1 Like

Once lockdown’s over and events start resuming normality, it will be nice to get out and about - thanks for letting us know Zeb’s keeping well too. I always try to remember to stay away from caravans when driving on real roads though :slight_smile:

Let us not forget when needed: Sys 64738 :wink:

2 Likes

I used to depend upon anti-virus software. Now my computer just wears a mask and keeps 6’ away from the network. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations on 200 episodes of Awesome!!! Most podcasts would have had a Re-cap session or Highlights Reel, or Best-Of moments… But you guys just decided to produce another great episode!

Keep up the Tuxsational work!

2 Likes

@jastombaugh, thank you so much! I :heart: Tuxsational!! And keeping our computers socially distanced! LOL :grin: And thank you for being a friend across two networks, LinuxGameCast and Destination Linux!!! :joy::penguin::penguin::penguin: