280: Improving Firefox With Cool Extensions

4 Likes

You should do an episode where you improve Firefox with HOT extensions instead, for comparison.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, took a peek: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

/\ Firefox vs \/ Chrome, hot extensions.

Using 5 extensions you mentioned

And also using this extensions…

add custom search engine
auto tab discard
switch to audible tab
tab center reborn
WIKI 2. Wikipedia Republished
youtube audio
youtube nonstop

For those who love Firefox containers such as @MichaelTunnell, I’d like to mention 2 more to enrich it further.

Container Proxy (GitHub - bekh6ex/firefox-container-proxy: [Firefox extension] Assign a proxy to a Firefox container) allows you to set a proxy per container type you have and also a default one. So you could run some proxy servers on your LAN (local, VPN, … → I use LXD containers running dante for this as cloning these is so easy) and assign where you want your traffic to go by assigning sites to the corresponding firefox container.

Temporary Containers (GitHub - stoically/temporary-containers: Firefox Add-on that lets you open automatically managed disposable containers) creates containers for newly opened tabs. It automatically separates data between sites that you did not assign to a specific container yourself even further, using the default proxy setting from the previous extension if you use that.

A simple scenario that becomes very easy is to use a VPN per default, but assign local traffic to another proxy (e.g. banks might block traffic coming from abroad) and in-house traffic (web interfaces for your switches, NAS, devices, …) to yet another so all of this traffic gets separated out from each other.

I also love Firefox due to the container tabs and the easy syncing features.

However, I’ve recently tried out qutebrowser after hearing about it on the show, and I immediately fell in love with the way it can be driven with the keyboard, especially how the link highlighting + following works there.

Does anyone know of any Firefox extensions, that could bring the qutebrowser-style keyboard driven operation to our favorite browser?

There were Pentadactyl and Vimperator but are discontinued unfortunately. I used both in the past. I am not sure if there are replacements for them.

1 Like