273: Our Takes on the Hottest Linux News of 2022

4 Likes

What is this “OBJ”?

Also, on the system tray discussion regarding Android, I remember reading somewhere that for apps to run background processes (on Android 8 or newer if I’m not mistaken) they must show a persistent notification. I like this (and the system tray) because if something is running on one of my devices I want to know about it.

I have seen GNOME show a notification saying that an application is “running in the background but has not provided a legitimate reason”. I’m really not a fan of this approach, because it implies that there is a GNOME specific way of “providing a reason” to run in the background. I don’t see any large software companies getting on board with this, because every other DE and Windows and MacOS have a system tray.

1 Like

not sure why wordpress did that but it did. I fixed it.

I agree that is very important change.

I don’t know why GNOME wanted to remove the system tray app menus because they rarely provided a clear answer from the project it would just be random developer opinions clearly disassociating their opinion from the GNOME project as a whole so I don’t know what the reasoning behind it was and I guess we will never really know. With that said, there is no viable reason in my opinion that justifies their removal because users expect them to be there and when they arent with zero explanation or replacement it just looks like a broken system.

So it’s really weird that it has taken GNOME 10 years to realize they need to add them back but they do seem to finally be open minded to the process of adding them back.

1 Like

Firstly, congrats @MichaelTunnell and TwiL! Secondly, have the show notes been published yet? I was looking for any link or reference to the meta data cleaner…i think it was a component of imageMagick? Thanks in advance for any info! Keep up the great shows!

1 Like

The show notes are linked at the top of this thread. I have not had time to update the show notes to provide links for things. I hope to do that soon, but I’m not sure when.

Metadata Cleaner is on FlatHub and it’s not part of imagemagick, that’s a tool called mogrify.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks so much @MichaelTunnell ! :+1:

1 Like